EPC light constantly on, but not noticed anything so far

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I noticed today that the light didnt go off like it normally does, drove to work fine and didnt notice anything.
When i got there i turned the engine off, then on again and it still stayed on.
It still comes on and stays on, but i might be doing a fair few motorway miles tommorow so i dont want something to fail or die on me then! :headhurt:
Any ideas?

The only thing i noticed was that it was nearly impossible to put it in reverse!
1st and reverse have become slightly harder to engage recently, but surely thats a clutch/gearbox issue?

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I did search for similair problems and found someone said that you wont know for certain unless you take it to your nearest Seat dealer?

Also, that the problem might be a loose cable or linkage. If that were the case, then i would surely have noticed a loss in power. Maybe that was why reverse was so hard to engage and not a clutch/gearbox problem?

I could take it to my local (i say local 30 odd miles away) Seat dealer, but i would be nervously driving looking at that light!

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
what i did on my car to get it to go off was unplug the sensor that goes into the back of the epc and then plugged it back in again. only thing is they need setting up specially by a vagcom if they go faulty, or in a worse situation, replacing completly lol.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Hmm...I thought there might be more to it than that.
Also, my knowledge with this kind of stuff is limited at best, i dont really know what im looking for.
I checked all the cables i saw above the pedals and they all seemed fine, but again something seeming fine to someone who doesn't know what to look for isn't exactly ideal. lol

As i say, the car seems absolutely fine to drive (touchwood) so its a bit baffling why the light is now always on.

A trip to Seat?

EDIT: I did just take a trip to Seat in Cambs! Problem starts with my catalyic converter...The porcelin core is loose and has been for a while but when I spoke to someone there he said its because it will be giving 2 different emissions readings which in turn will make the EPC light come on.

My car is due its 70K mile service in approx 200 miles so i want to combine that with getting a new cat fitted.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.