EPC Light / Won’t start

mph

Jan 6, 2003
Liverpool
Thanks for all your suggesstions. I went and purchased a crank, cam and coolant sensor and took to my local garage for them to fit (I don't have time!)
Took it for a spin afterwards and within a few miles, exact same problem! :mad: lack of power, ECU light came on and car wouldn't start after I parked up. Tried a few times and eventually started up, so went straight back to the garage and asked them to check the fault codes. Same codes came up. Then the car wouldn't start at all after many attempts, so I've left it with them and they will investigate in the morning...

mph

Jan 6, 2003
Liverpool
I will also add that the fans were coming on more than usual even without the aircon on, which they don't normally do, and idling revs seemed a bit high, around 1200 when I would expect below the 1 mark.

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Back to my original thought of main relay and or bad ground ...

Please see the other thread I originally posted.

Please read it from the beginning as it starts with fans going when they shouldn't...

Man, I love being correct 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

mph

Jan 6, 2003
Liverpool
Back to my original thought of main relay and or bad ground ...

Please see the other thread I originally posted.

Please read it from the beginning as it starts with fans going when they shouldn't...

Man, I love being correct 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎
You think it might be the 460 relay?

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
You think it might be the 460 relay?
I think it's very inexpensive and your final fault of Open/Short to Plus makes me think that relay or a bad ground. Either would cause tons of symptoms including fans and or electrical systems dash.

It's raining heavily here in England and that would exacerbate the issue.

They're under £20 and you do it yourself.

Four sensors failing sounds like a relay to me, so I'd do it.

edit: I'd also check all of the grounds. I posted the locations of all the others in the other thread but here they are:

Earth points in engine compartment:
- Earth strap, battery - body
- Earth strap, gearbox - body
- Earth point, in plenum chamber
- Earth point, on left in engine compartment
- Earth point, in plenum chamber (centre)
- Earth point, on right in plenum chamber

Earth points in vehicle interior:
- Earth point, on left behind dash panel
- Earth point, on right behind dash panel
- Earth point, next to steering column
- Earth point, lower part of right A-pillar
- Earth point, lower part of left A-pillar
- Earth point, behind dash panel
- Earth point, left B-pillar
- Earth point, right B-pillar

Earth points in luggage compartment:
- Earth point, rear left pillar

Last edited:

mph

Jan 6, 2003
Liverpool
So I went to pick my car up today after leaving it overnight. The mechanic said it wouldn't start last night but it did this morning. So he went back to check the crank sensor he fitted yesterday and found oil and grime all around and inside the connector and admitted that yesterday he just unplugged the old and plugged in the new. After a good clean and spray with WD40 he took it round the block and seems to be ok. Not satisfied with that, I took it for a proper spin down the motorway and no more lack of power nor any engine lights coming on, plus the idle revs now seem to be better, around 750.

I bet my old sensors where probably still ok and all that was needed was some clean-up around the connections. Honestly, you just can't get the staff these days! :banghead2

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
So I went to pick my car up today after leaving it overnight. The mechanic said it wouldn't start last night but it did this morning. So he went back to check the crank sensor he fitted yesterday and found oil and grime all around and inside the connector and admitted that yesterday he just unplugged the old and plugged in the new. After a good clean and spray with WD40 he took it round the block and seems to be ok. Not satisfied with that, I took it for a proper spin down the motorway and no more lack of power nor any engine lights coming on, plus the idle revs now seem to be better, around 750.

I bet my old sensors where probably still ok and all that was needed was some clean-up around the connections. Honestly, you just can't get the staff these days! :banghead2
Awesome and congratulations :D

It's always hard to find good staff. Pay peanuts and get monkeys. etc ...

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Nice one.

Now you need to delete the codes and re-read them to see if your coolant sensor and EGT sensor have stopped throwing codes.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise