Falken vs Bridgestone vs VREDESTEIN vs AVON vs Toyo

The Gimp

Pheeeeeeeeeeeew got there in the end. :lol:

My sister needs replacement tyres on the front of her 2006 (56) Ibiza Sport DAB.

The tyres she had on there from stock I thought were pants anyway (Bridgestone TURANZA (I think?) )

Anyone got preference over the tyres I have choosen. I've driven another sisters car (LCR 2005) with Falken 912's on and I was happy with them I brought a set for my other scoob.

I think the Falken 452's will be an over kill on her car tbh?

I've told my sister to log onto Camskill but if you guys know anywhere cheaper feel free to spread the love. :D

Here are the tyres I've shortlisted for her at present.

205 /45 /16

Falken 912
Toyo Proxes T1R
Avon ZZ3
VREDESTEIN SPORTRAC 3

Anymore input the better.

Regards
Steve

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
I bought some Toyo this time last year, The fronts have worn slighty quick but still loads left, Might of done 4-5k on the fronts but the rear are like new.

TBH i dont really think the T1R's are they good. They arent all that good in the damp or wet and can find the limits in the drive pretty quick. But i know there price has gone up a fair amount. I have heard some good things about the VREDESTEIN SPORTRAC 3.

Luke

The Gimp

Thanks for the feedback buddy.

I used to have the old T1S Toyo's on my HGT years ago and the sidewalls were shocking.

Cheers for the reply again mate.

Steve

Slippery_Stu

May 23, 2008
I got 2 T1R's last year and had them fitted to the front of my FR, have been very pleased with them on the whole and recently purchased a further 2 so I now have T1R's all round.

With the recent purchase I went for the XL derivative and had these put on the front to deal with the weight of the diesel engine :)

My summary:-
Dry Grip - Good
Wet Grip - Reasonable
Road Noise - Good, better than the Michelin's that were on it!

I had the Avon ZZ3's on my Saxo VTS a few years back but I really don't have any positive or negative comments to make - they were ok.

I have heard the Sportracs are good, they maybe my next option when the need arises.

No real experience of the Falken's

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
T1R's all-round here...very good in damp and dry for me, however, they are only 5 weeks old so plenty of tread. A lot quieter than the P-Zero's that came with the car

The T1R's have reinforced sidewalls so very good around bends and not so clunky going over pot-holes and humps...however, i did go from 205/40 to 215/40 so extra lip on 17's

16's are completely different in comparison, so can't comment on that size

Last edited:

jase20vt

Mar 6, 2009
bloxwich walsall
im usin avon zv5 on the front, grip well in dry but dont like heavy right foot in damp/wet the tcs flashes away merrrily, handle well, and iv had no issues breaking in any weather

dash

Feb 11, 2006
surrey
Dont have alloys on my car:( any one has some cheap 16" or even 15"
once I lay my hands on some decent alloys, I will be getting some fk 452 :D

valverlimiter

t1rs are very grippy all rounders but the edges wear very quicky with hard use. proxes 4 are near same grip wise but the edges stand upto punishment much better and wear even

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
t1rs are very grippy all rounders but the edges wear very quicky with hard use. proxes 4 are near same grip wise but the edges stand upto punishment much better and wear even

dont like the sound of that too much.:blink: Proxes 4 never lasted me very long with a mixed driving style. 5-6K to a set of fronts is the norm for me. Is this the general rule for a remapped FR Tdi or is there somethiny really wrong?

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
Pheeeeeeeeeeeew got there in the end. :lol:

My sister needs replacement tyres on the front of her 2006 (56) Ibiza Sport DAB.

The tyres she had on there from stock I thought were pants anyway (Bridgestone TURANZA (I think?) )

Anyone got preference over the tyres I have choosen. I've driven another sisters car (LCR 2005) with Falken 912's on and I was happy with them I brought a set for my other scoob.

I think the Falken 452's will be an over kill on her car tbh?

I've told my sister to log onto Camskill but if you guys know anywhere cheaper feel free to spread the love. :D

Here are the tyres I've shortlisted for her at present.

205 /45 /16

Falken 912
Toyo Proxes T1R
Avon ZZ3
VREDESTEIN SPORTRAC 3

Anymore input the better.

Regards
Steve

Btw to comment on price I've always bought my tyres off eBay shop 'topgear'. Just paid £220 + £15 shipping for 4x Toyo Proxes T1R's and they always arrive very promptly (as in the next day normally). Paid the same for the last four Proxes 4's i bought aswel. And anywhere else they were between £70-£105 each for the exact same tyre!!! 205/40 17 they were.

valverlimiter

dont like the sound of that too much.:blink: Proxes 4 never lasted me very long with a mixed driving style. 5-6K to a set of fronts is the norm for me. Is this the general rule for a remapped FR Tdi or is there somethiny really wrong?

yep 5k is about right on proxes 4 with hard driving half the time on the front. t1rs will last the same but i bet the outside edges will be bold after about 3k. and they wont pass mot like that. t1ss are the same. ive ran them on my mk2 16v ibiza and previus civic vtis

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
ive been using bf goodrich g force profilers - good tyre - seem prone to punctures (could just be bad luck) good grip in wet (ideal for uk summer)

very hard to get tho, so ill be swopping to the vredestein sporttrac 3 next from camskill probably.

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
T1Rs

I run toyo T1Rs 205/45/16 on my mk4 ibiza and i wouldnt buy another tyre for the money, they are good in the dry and for a sports type tyre they are excellent in the wet.
I guess alot of it has to do with the rest of the car and the driving style. Mine wear consistently all over and last me about 12months per set ( i swap them front for back half way through) so thats ok for me and i buy them from www.camskill.co.uk cheapest by far.
I do find however that they benefit from having a little more p.s.i in them that they recomend but again that may just be my preferance.