FAO: LCR owners who have fitted a Catch Tank

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Hi all,

I've been looking into how to fit a catch tank and have been searching for a couple of hours now, and come across a few useful threads, however the people who have done this mod generally speaking seem to have ibizas.

This thread is the most useful...but still nothing for LCRs-
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134637&highlight=catch+tank

So has anyone here with an LCR or an LC i guess fitted a catch tank? If so, could they post pics of them fitted so i can get an idea of the best location for them, and also explain how exactly they've fitted them.

I think i'm right in saying that the catch tank should have 2 pipes....like-
OCT3.jpg

I believe i need to remove mushroom shaped black dv looking sensor (top right of engine bay), and connect the pipe the mushroom thingy was connected to...to one of the pipes on the catch tank, and then the other pipe on the catch tank just gets a breather fitted to it. Correct or not?

The above seems to be the simplest way of doing it, but the thread i've posted a link to, goes into much more depth and some people have gone a lot further for reasons i don't understand...so if anyone can shed some light on whether what i have said above is ok or not, and whether or not i need to do anything else...that would be great!

In short...how do i fit a catch tank to an LCR? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Dave

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
cheers ben...you at work on wednesday? if so i'll pop in then...unless you're at the vagingit meet on sunday at 6pm?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
It was plumbed from the top of the engine breather into the tank then vented to a filter - all it di was smoke and eat oil. Disconnected it and put it back to stock and no more problems. All i can think is that the filter blocked and then started forcing oil past the seals - either way not cool!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
So has no-one else with an LCR fitted one of these catch tanks?

It would be great to see some pics! and get an idea of peoples experiences with these on an lcr

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
You can see my catch tank in this pic:

0802.jpg

Mine has 2 inlets and 1 outlet, hoses come from the block and head and the outlet goes back to the intake. Definately cleaner with the tank, all my intercooler pipes are clean with no oily residue on the inside of them.

Thanks for the pic rob...if i was to get a tank with 1 inlet and 1 outlet...how would you suggest i should plumb it in?

Sorry to be a nuicence but the more detail the better, as this is all new to me and i want to make sure i do it right and only once :)

Thanks again

RobDon

Pro Detailer
It stops oily residue from coating the intercooler pipes which your engine will injest and can reduce performance, it also works very well on trackdays or any kind of spirited driving as it can catch oil which would otherwise end up emptying back into your turbo.

Ideally 3 ports because you have one coming from the block, one from the head and an outlet back to the intake. If you only have 2 ports you'd have to T both hoses from the block and head into the tank. The hoses are 19mm but you can get away with 16mm.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Ok Rob thanks for that...any chance of pointing out exactly which hoses you mean on the pic below? Sorry to be a pain...just don't know where you mean when you say "one from the block", "one from the head" and then "back to the intake".

catchtankplumbing.jpg

I think from what i just had a look at...when you say "one from the head" you mean the pipe which goes from the right of the rocker cover into the muschroom thingy?

and the pipe which goes from the mushroom thing and into the TIP, should be connected to the breather pipe on the tank...which sorts the one when you say "back to the intake"

But where does the other one go?

Do i need to keep the mushroom thing?

Also, if the breather oulet goes back into the intake....does the catch tank actually "catch" any of the residue? surely it just manages to find it's way back into the intake??

Sorry for the q's again...not v gd with engines :redface:

Last edited: