Formentor capacitive steering wheel (not switches!!) for ACC

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Beacuse manuals from the start of Formentor production talk about holding / grabbing the steering wheel to keep ACC active?
Mine
Beacuse manuals from the start of Formentor production talk about holding / grabbing the steering wheel to keep ACC active?
That is deeply incorrect, as long as my market is concerned. In the first release of the manual, the ACC could be extended “using, moving” the steering wheel. In the latest release, the manual states ”grabbing”. That simply demonstrates that there is a new procedure that involves new steering wheel hardware…

Attachments

• IMG_4992.jpeg
    IMG_4992.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4994.jpeg
    IMG_4994.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4993.jpeg
    IMG_4993.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 55

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Mine

That is deeply incorrect, as long as my market is concerned. In the first release of the manual, the ACC could be extended “using, moving” the steering wheel. In the latest release, the manual states ”grabbing”. That simply demonstrates that there is a new procedure that involves new steering wheel hardware…
That difference in wording could be due to translation issues or otherwise, but I'm not losing any sleep over it!

Reactions: Fencer60

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
'depending on the vehicle equipment '.... Seems like the manual is saying not everyone has this "grab for joy" feature ? The way it's worded also seems to say that having this feature isn't connected to having ACC for slow/crawl itself ??

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I use the Traffic Assist feature a lot and over 8mths have been pretty annoyed by the nag of the steering wheel. It is way too insistent on me tugging the wheel.. Even with my hands loosely on the wheel ready to take over it will nag without a tug.

That was till last night I drove for miles along an A-road without a single nag. And as long as I loosely held it was more than happy just to keep going. Even with just my thumb and forefinger.

It has never done this before which is so weird. I came here to tell the story then noticed this thread.

However, unless there has been an OTA in last few days, I have been on 1940 for months, then nothing had changed. except - I had heated steering wheel on. Could this have made difference?

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
At the end, I’m very happy with this capacity steering because, after six years of VW Passat fitted with the old system, I was fed up of making tricks with the software with my half liter bottle in the steering wheel spokes. Believe me when I say that it was an absolutely perfect trick in the long motorway trips with lane assist on: the car always turned up safe and reliable.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Firstly, apologies for going off topic, but this post is tech-related and there’s been lots of tech-related discussion on the forum over the past few days.

Is it just me that thinks car manufacturers have gone too far with driver assistance / driver aid technology? Admittedly, some of it is very useful and potentially lifesaving (e.g. ABS braking systems, autonomous emergency braking). However, most of it I’d happily live without.

I learnt to drive in the 1970’s - before the days of ‘must have’ features such as sat nav, blind spot monitoring, cruse control (active or otherwise), lane assist, park assist and many others. IMHO there‘s a danger of drivers becoming too reliant on the driver assistance tech in cars, which can’t be a good thing; the tech isn’t infallible, and too much reliance on it could lull some into a false sense of security. Plus, finding ways to adapt and modify the tech as highlighted in the link to the article you’ve posted could be potentially very dangerous to the driver and others.

I dare say the increase over time in the amount and scope of driver assistance tech being built into cars is to get us ready for autonomous vehicles. I for one aren’t looking forward to the day when the car drives us as opposed to us driving the car 🤔.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I think it depends if people are taught to use the driver aids as they learn to drive (in the future). My sons learning to drive 'manually' at the moment, there's no requirement to teach people how to use even cruise control, let alone ACC.

I think most people won't have a clue how to use the driver aids and have no interest in doing so. I like using them as I'm a tech nerd, but I believe most people won't even bother to find where the buttons are, let alone press them.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Firstly, apologies for going off topic, but this post is tech-related and there’s been lots of tech-related discussion on the forum over the past few days.

Is it just me that thinks car manufacturers have gone too far with driver assistance / driver aid technology? Admittedly, some of it is very useful and potentially lifesaving (e.g. ABS braking systems, autonomous emergency braking). However, most of it I’d happily live without.

I learnt to drive in the 1970’s - before the days of ‘must have’ features such as sat nav, blind spot monitoring, cruse control (active or otherwise), lane assist, park assist and many others. IMHO there‘s a danger of drivers becoming too reliant on the driver assistance tech in cars, which can’t be a good thing; the tech isn’t infallible, and too much reliance on it could lull some into a false sense of security. Plus, finding ways to adapt and modify the tech as highlighted in the link to the article you’ve posted could be potentially very dangerous to the driver and others.

I dare say the increase over time in the amount and scope of driver assistance tech being built into cars is to get us ready for autonomous vehicles. I for one aren’t looking forward to the day when the car drives us as opposed to us driving the car 🤔.
Totally agree as too many people just can't drive anymore, they pass their test and think they know it all and these features just cover that up, also driving a DSG car is completely different and and folk should learn how to do it properly. There are some really good guides to be found on the internet about this but how many even bother to find out.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
I for one aren’t looking forward to the day when the car drives us as opposed to us driving the car
Agreed!
My post above was simply a reply to the post above it.
The message is: don't use those systems in any other way than they were designed to be used...

The simple fact that "after six years... with my half liter bottle in the steering wheel spokes..." there was no accident,
DOES NOT MEAN that "the car always turned up safe and reliable"!
It simply means it was pure luck that the car didn't meet the right combination of traffic and road signs/lines for the system to fail...
However, all car manufacturers have disclaimers stating that those are driving aids, not fully autonomous driving systems.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Totally agree as too many people just can't drive anymore, they pass their test and think they know it all and these features just cover that up, also driving a DSG car is completely different and and folk should learn how to do it properly. There are some really good guides to be found on the internet about this but how many even bother to find out.
How is driving a DSG completely different, and from what?

Reactions: Hizzards

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022

I dare say the increase over time in the amount and scope of driver assistance tech being built into cars is to get us ready for autonomous vehicles. I for one aren’t looking forward to the day when the car drives us as opposed to us driving the car 🤔
Here Here 👏👏👏

Reactions: Seastormer
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise