Formentor capacitive steering wheel (not switches!!) for ACC

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I use the Traffic Assist feature a lot and over 8mths have been pretty annoyed by the nag of the steering wheel. It is way too insistent on me tugging the wheel.. Even with my hands loosely on the wheel ready to take over it will nag without a tug.

That was till last night I drove for miles along an A-road without a single nag. And as long as I loosely held it was more than happy just to keep going. Even with just my thumb and forefinger.

It has never done this before which is so weird. I came here to tell the story then noticed this thread.

However, unless there has been an OTA in last few days, I have been on 1940 for months, then nothing had changed. except - I had heated steering wheel on. Could this have made difference?
It's weird tried again yesterday and Traffic Assist is back to nag nag nag even with Heated wheel on.. have no idea why one day it just lost it's nagging ablity very strange..

Reactions: Idrossizina

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I've driven a fair bit in stop start traffic recently, and have found that hanging / grabbing onto the wheel while stationary does indeed extend the dwell time of the ACC, not indefinitely but certainly a few minutes rather than the few seconds if you let go immediately after you have stopped.

Reactions: Idrossizina

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
I've driven a fair bit in stop start traffic recently, and have found that hanging / grabbing onto the wheel while stationary does indeed extend the dwell time of the ACC, not indefinitely but certainly a few minutes rather than the few seconds if you let go immediately after you have stopped.
And it’s so nice the all the wheel is sensitive, thus even three fingers on the lower part are enough , my elbow comfortable out of the window … very Italian cliche’
:)

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Anyone: ideas on how to fool a capacitive sensor? What can be seen as a human hand? Show me your inner Hacker…
Of course we are just talking academic….

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Having worked with capacitive sensors for some time now, I can conclude that much of the 'modern' applications have their digital fingerprints in what would been have termed as cutting edge decades ago is now taken for granted...

Early work by James Morrison back in the '70s revealed the truth to the world, something that has been unfottunately forgotten by many...

...Ah, keep your eyes on the road
Your hands upon the wheel

Sound Advice Indeed.

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Very poetical. In the 70‘s no power steering and tyres were exploding easily. Very good idea to keep hands on the wheel

What about capacitive gloves? Uhm sounds interesting…

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members