Full link activation worth it?

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Having just had the cam belt and water pump replaced on my car, I'm probably going to keep it for the foreseeable future.

I haven't had full link activated, and am considering getting it done. From memory, the dealers charge £200 for it?

Has anyone had it done and was it worth it? I understand you can use Google maps from you phone, is this better than the Seat nav? Anyone got any pictures of google maps running in the car?

I have an MIB2 unit. I thought I would be able to stream music from my phone via Bluetooth or USB cable, but neither of these seem to work (I haven't tried very hard). Will activating full link allow me to stream music from my phone?

Cheers.

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I was going to do it with mine, but decided not to bother. I can bluetooth audio from the phone and I have a brodit phone bracket thingy anyway, so if the Seat Nav isn't up to date enough wherever I am I can quickly put google maps on and see the phone easily. I fail to see what benefits I'd get for the money.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
It depends?

Google Maps, Waze etc maps are generally more up to date in terms of road data, but it is the additional features such as traffic data, safety camera locations etc where the system adds benefit - I guess it depends on how often you are diving, time of day etc if these are of benefit to you?

In order for the link to work the phone needs to be connected to the car via usb.

However, if you want to stream music from your device via Bluetooth, this should be possible without activating.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Worth it for maps otherwise its garbage, android auto always drops out and the iphone one works well but has a horrible rounded edge screen, mib2

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Yes in my opinion google maps is better than pretty much all car sat navs (and you don't have to pay to update it), and yes you can play music via Spotify etc.

That said personally I only bother plugging it in for longer drives when I want the navigation. Overall I find it's just easier to use bluetooth to play music, plus the full link can be kind of spotty with random disconnects etc.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Having just had the cam belt and water pump replaced on my car, I'm probably going to keep it for the foreseeable future.
I haven't had full link activated, and am considering getting it done. From memory, the dealers charge £200 for it?
Has anyone had it done and was it worth it? I understand you can use Google maps from you phone, is this better than the Seat nav? Anyone got any pictures of google maps running in the car?
I have an MIB2 unit. I thought I would be able to stream music from my phone via Bluetooth or USB cable, but neither of these seem to work (I haven't tried very hard). Will activating full link allow me to stream music from my phone?

Cheers.
I've had it on my car since new, in the past few months it's been a bit flaky, I bought a new genuine Samsung lead for my S9+ and it improved, then I found I was getting problems with the phone not going online to get traffic updates, I found that if I disabled the phone WiFi it works perfectly!
Kieran Walkington of East Yorkshire Retrofits does it for a good price.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
I paid £120 For activation I think. Night and day difference between the inbuilt Maps/media and Apple Car Play. Apple maps were just updated with loads of extra detail for example. Plus lots of apps have a car play specific app for better on screen controls.
Also, I find Bluetooth audio to be of far lower quality than via usb.You lose definition and bass for sure.

Mar 31, 2021
How is the activation made, is it added hardware/key or just a software update?
Does it has to be made at a dealer?
(I used to have a BMW where Apple CarPlay could be added by just performing a software download in the car)

My 2021 Formentor has a lot of equipment - 12" screen, NAV, rear view camera, Beats audio, Driver assistance systems etc
But Full Link is missing and my dealer said they could not retrofit it...

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Ho is the activation made, is it added hardware/key or just a software update?
Does it has to be made at a dealer?
(I used to have a BMW where Apple CarPlay could be added by just performing a software download in the car)

My 2021 Formentor has a lot of equipment - 12" screen, NAV, rear view camera, Beats audio, Driver assistance systems etc
But Full Link is missing and my dealer said they could not retrofit it...
That does seem strange, i'm surprised it's not standard on your car, it may be due to licensing restrictions in your country.
Try to contact Kieran Walkington of East Yorkshire Retrofits he's on this forum i think and on facebook.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Where are you from? All UK model Formentors have Full Link activation and come with Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (Newer models now have wireless Android Auto).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Where are you from? All UK model Formentors have Full Link activation and come with Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (Newer models now have wireless Android Auto).

According to his profile he's in Sweden. But may be using a VPN.

Reactions: Maypack
Mar 31, 2021

Sorry forgot to write, I am in Sweden so the car is sold by Swedish Seat organisation

Reactions: Walone

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
According to his profile he's in Sweden. But may be using a VPN.

Im using Tapatalk from my phone so don’t get that ability. Cheers for the heads up

We all know the European Market has options that we don’t have access to (Beats being one, optional wheels another). However this seems to be one where we get something in the UK as standard and others don’t.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
I would definitely contact Kieran, he's excellent at this stuff.

@henke_bus Try this link

I believe Kieran was saying he’s getting a Formentor and going to be retrofitting Beats for UK customers.

Not sure if they are looking at Full Link for the Formentor. Best to contact them direct.

Reactions: henke_bus
Apr 17, 2021
Hey guys, sorry for hijacking the topic in the Leon forum, but I am about to buy a Cupra Formentor that, similarly to @henke_bus, has the full link option disabled. This is literally the only post in the web that actually mentions this issue. So I am bit worried if I will ever see full link in this MY21 car. @henke_bus, any success since last time? Did you manage to activate it?

Mar 31, 2021
Hey guys, sorry for hijacking the topic in the Leon forum, but I am about to buy a Cupra Formentor that, similarly to @henke_bus, has the full link option disabled. This is literally the only post in the web that actually mentions this issue. So I am bit worried if I will ever see full link in this MY21 car. @henke_bus, any success since last time? Did you manage to activate it?
Hi
No - I have checked with two different Seat/Cupra dealers in Sweden and they claim my Formentor can not have the Full Link retrofitted
I find it a bit peculiar since my car have all the other features (Nav, 12" screen, Beats, inductive phone charger etc) just missing the Fill Link feature
Then - now when I have had the car for a few weeks my experience of the car software is that it is very buggy
The infotainment system keeps logging me out, every 1/4 of the times I start the car it says there is a problem with the blind spot warning system, now there is a warning that the SOS alarm function is not working
The car looks awesome and is great to drive but the software is horrible....

Apr 17, 2021
Hi
No - I have checked with two different Seat/Cupra dealers in Sweden and they claim my Formentor can not have the Full Link retrofitted
I find it a bit peculiar since my car have all the other features (Nav, 12" screen, Beats, inductive phone charger etc) just missing the Fill Link feature
Then - now when I have had the car for a few weeks my experience of the car software is that it is very buggy
The infotainment system keeps logging me out, every 1/4 of the times I start the car it says there is a problem with the blind spot warning system, now there is a warning that the SOS alarm function is not working
The car looks awesome and is great to drive but the software is horrible....
Thanks for the reply! That’s a real bummer. Can’t believe that Full Link cannot be activated on a MY21 VAG car. I asked my local dealership if that’s really the case.

Any other Seat/Cupra models that have the same issue?

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I'm also located in Sweden. Seat activated Full Link for me, it was around 2000 SEK I think. No hardware required.

MY20 Leon Cupra though.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.