Good price?

RawrJess

Hi :D

I really want to buy this Ibiza, but I would like some advice on whether this is a good price and what I could say to haggle it down a bit.

Its a 2002 (52 reg) 1.2 S 1 owner from new, full service history, 50k miles, ABS, a/c, etc and its £3195.

Also, any tips on what I should look out for? I don't know a lot about cars so talk to me like a child please.

Thanks for any advice!
Jess

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hi

Mileage is a bit low for a 7/8yr old car... what's the current owner like? Check that the FSH is based on age, not mileage... you could do 10k over three years & it never get looked at.

What else is out there at the similar price?

RawrJess

There's nothing in my area really but I found these. They're all 5 door and 1.2 from traders (like one I am going to look at)

03 54k miles dark red (nicer colour) "showroom cond" £2992

52 47k miles light blue immaculate £2888

52 (but 2003 unlike other 2) 2 owners dark red 62k miles but no ABS (which I need as I recnetly had a crash as I made the brakes lock) £2695

so does the one I'm after seem sort of fairly priced or slightly overpriced? I can't really decide, but it does seem dear for 2002

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
All other things being equal, go for the one you like in colour....

ABS is sensible (though you are able to drive without it)

the Baby Blue looks rubbish, so I'd go for the 03 54K in dark red if the Service History is equal.

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
Just to let you know I got my ibiza 2 months ago - a 1.4s, 2003 with 53,000 miles and 3 months warranty all for £2750.

Unfortunately second hand car prices seem to be going up a lot at the moment.

Definately go for a mk4 model as they are far more fuel efficient than the mk3's. I can get 45-50 mph from mine and i don't drive slow.

I found when I was looking at cars a few months ago that the ibiza's were far better value for money compared to corsas and clios. Thats how i ended up with mine.

So my advice is just look around you alot and know the going value of them in your area. Don't be tempted to buy the first 1 you see and you will know when the right 1 comes along.

Good luck !

Last edited:

RawrJess

Ok thanks both! Although Jeffery, you just reminded me, the first one comes with 24 months AA 5 star cover, although I'm not sure what that's really worth

jeffery

Nov 5, 2009
you just reminded me, the first one comes with 24 months AA 5 star cover, although I'm not sure what that's really worth

Just looked up there,

http://www.aawarranty.co.uk/cars_mbi_5star.htm

Looks like it is parts and labour breakdown cover, which has to be worth quite a bit as in 24 months something will give up.

Just a few things to consider before you buy:-

Have a read through this post about commom problems with these cars and things to look out for-

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108848

Check to see if the timing belt has been changed on the car yet. If it hasnt you would need to get it changed soon after purchase and that can be fairly expensive (£200 ish)

Also how long is left before the car needs a MOT and how much tax is left on it. I got my car with a full years MOT but got stung with £150 cost to get it taxed (although a year's tax would be less for a 1.2)

If you are still happy with the car then go for it.

Last edited:

matfennell

Nov 10, 2009
York
i paid £3000 for a black 52 (03) plate ibiza just last month so i would say its about right price tbh.

The garage wanted £3200 but got it for £3000.

It has done 55k miles with full service history.

Also came with 3 month garage warranty and compared to most other 1.2s this age its pretty good.

No complaints yet!!! (apart from a puncture after only having car for 2 weeks)

Fenners

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.