GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

Dinger1982uk

I have tried and failed to fit a SEAT RNS510 unit into my FL 2010 Leon FR. The problem is that you need version C software to be installed to work with the MFD. So the latest VW RNS510 with version C software will work. As long as you do not mind the VW splash screen.

But the SEAT version is still B and will work fully with the pre FL version only and the latest software will not work?install on with it. You can use the Skoda software but then you have Skoda logo's on start up.

Only other suggestion is to get an RNS310 but there are next to none on the market and I would expect £800 from a dealer as a spare part.

The only other option is to get one of the Chineese copy unit's as there is a version for the MK6 Golf out from Witson and does have full MFD compatibility. A SEAT version is supposed to be on the way..........

Thanks Jezyg for you help there. I have found a seller on Ebay that is selling the Chinese copy units. They are £440 and it has the version C software. You have repeated everything the seller told me really. It's reasuring that the seller is say the same things as you are and makes me beleive what the seller is saying. I'm going to order one today and i'll let you know how I get on. I would post a link to the unit but I have made enought post to do that. Oh it has a VW logo on start up but they say they can change that to a Seat Logo wiht software. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
Dinger

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Thanks Jezyg for you help there. I have found a seller on Ebay that is selling the Chinese copy units. They are £440 and it has the version C software. You have repeated everything the seller told me really. It's reasuring that the seller is say the same things as you are and makes me beleive what the seller is saying. I'm going to order one today and i'll let you know how I get on. I would post a link to the unit but I have made enought post to do that. Oh it has a VW logo on start up but they say they can change that to a Seat Logo wiht software. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
Dinger

Yes will be great to see how you get on and if it all works with your MFD as I am still going to fit a Sat Nav at some point.

Dinger1982uk

Well Jezyg as I said bought a unit from China. As I suspected It was a peice of junk. It all worked well but you couln't control it from the Steering wheel and you didn't get any information on the dash. The unit got sent back and I'm still looking. Has anyone got any info on a version C Seat model RNS 510. Also has anyone got a Seat 2010 model with the intergrated Sat Nav. When I ordered the car I Ordred it with the media poack but I oreded it to late in the build stage so when I picked it up it wasn't there. I'm starting to think that they just couldn't fi it now because they didn't have the version C Seat units developed.

densil

Feb 22, 2007
I have an RNS510 installed in a MY08 Leon with CAN Gateway 1K0 907 530 L. However, I am experiencing the same "offset" clock problem that others have. However, I was under the impression that with tmy revision of CAN Gateway I should not have such problem? Any ideas? Many thanks

cila555

CiLA
Apr 2, 2010
Kosice - Slovakia
www.cila.sk
In my car I have RNS 315 but I would like change its for RNS 510. If somebody want new RNS 315 and I found new RNS 510 I change its instantly !!!

RNS315_f.jpg

tshililow

Certified Full Member
May 10, 2010
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Guys,

I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere else but what is the part no. for the Fascia Adapter? My dealer in South Africa can't find it and asked me to supply with the Part No.

Your help will be appreciated.

tshililow

Certified Full Member
May 10, 2010
Hi,
I finally managed to see the part no. on Dan's Guide and the Guide was very helpful. Now the problem is that we got lazy people working by the Warehouse here in South Africa. I ordered the Adapter and after months they gave me a wrong part no: i.e. 1P2858063N87. I think this works with the original SEAT SATNAV but does not work with mine. I returned the item and now after two month again they tell me that 1P2858071AN87 does not exist!

Now my car has a huge unappealing hole on either side of the radio, someone please tell me how can I get this part without using VW South Africa.

tshililow

Certified Full Member
May 10, 2010
you will need four 'U nuts' and four screws to fit in these nuts. These can be bought from Halfords (located in the store next to the fuses) in packs of three (!) and you need to by the right size screw pack with them. I think they come in 7 or 8mm. Either is fine But im using the 8mm.
A u nut:
unut.jpg

Slip the u nut over the four plastic holes along the sides, You may have to bang it with something to make it slip in place. You can now push the sat nav unit all the way back and screw the unit in.

Hi, I finally found a right fascia but the 'U' nuts I found does not seem to fit at all on my ride. I bought 7mm and they were way too big, found 6mm and still too big. Cant post pics now cos am a newbie but am frustrated cos I can't hold my unit in place.

Also, the useless VWSA did not order the 10 clips 3B0867190 although I gave them the part no. with the order. I guess those clips are to hold the Fascia in place? Since mine is still not in place although well-fit... Please advice.

Lestat

Do you have the part number of the RNS510 of the Seat version, or can change firmware of a VW version and install the firmware of the seat version? Work wit the butoms in the steering wheel and BT?

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Got myself an VW MFD2 unit

Ive got it installed and accepting the code but the safe wire is not connected

Does anyone have a link to a guide for installing the safe wire? or could someone explain it to me?

Thanks
Kyle

EDIT Do I need to splice in the red/yellow wire(marked blue) and connect it into the connector (marked orange) ???

edit.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:

Spoony

I'm just picking up a Leon and this is one of the first project I wish to do.

Will the MFD 3 Version C Fit in my 59 plate Leon and will I need VagCom changes?

Also I have the USB/AUX ports below the centre console - will these function with MFD3 in place?

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Hi Dinger1982uk,

(And to anyone else who has bought the chinese copy sat nav)
Just wondering about the chinese copy of the Sat Nav system you bought from ebay, was it like the ones I've seen? the Item numbers I'm looking at are 220749609336 and 260746230798.
What was the problem exactly with them? For what it's worth, I'm more interested in the mp3, bluetooth and DVD function than the Sat nav itself, although that would be useful too. I have a 07 stylance that does not have bluetooth, mp3 compatable stereo or large MFD in the instrument cluster. I do have the steering wheel controls though.

Cheers, Roy

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
Hey Alesi27

I bought this one 260747084641 (from that guy too who has been great I must say, ask him to pay direct and he will also give you a discount) and touch wood to date have had no issues at all with it.
I think I use every bit of it from GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, Radio, MP3, Digi TV and even the auto reverse camera functions.

The DVD & MP4 (via the SD card on the front) player is now taking a hammering as I also fitted rear monitors in the front seat headrests, the kids love it.

Must say I had only one issue, that was fitting it in my 07 Altea reference, on the bottom of the unit you can see two slots for SD cards, well behind the front panel these slots are covered by a plastic shield, with the shield on it wouldn't fit, 2 screws later the shield is removed and the unit sits fine.

There were no wires to splice / cut / add etc. it a simply plug and play, I suppose another tiny issue is I think my old head unit used to switch off when key is removed which this one does too, but I think I could also switch the old one on when the keys were out and it would stay on for like 5 mins, this one only works when the key is in, small issue as I'm always in the car with my keys.

I dont have steering wheel control or a large MFD either, so cant comment on that bit, re the steering wheel controls there is a page in the setup facility which is all to do with these steering wheel buttons, so i reckon you should be okay.

He also gives links to IGO8 and Tomtom which again work fine although the Tomtom was a bit out of date, I updated the maps on IGO8 to like June 2010 back last year and its great.
let me know if you need any photos or can even do a short video for you if u like

All the best

Dai O

cdpdesign

Jul 13, 2010
With my MFD3, I have had to cut out a section of plastic behind and below the headunit. This is because there is a part at the bottom of the unit that protudes slightly, and the fact that the gps/radio antenna plugs stick out quite a bit too. The part at the bottom is pretty obvious once to try and fit it, but the picture below shows where it needs to be cut at the back. im not aware if this needs to be done with the MFD2 unit.

Once this is done, Reconnect the GPS, FM and quadlock connector and you are good to go! Reconnect the battery and it should work.

The final part is fixing the unit inplace.
you will need four 'U nuts' and four screws to fit in these nuts. These can be bought from Halfords (located in the store next to the fuses) in packs of three (!) and you need to by the right size screw pack with them. I think they come in 7 or 8mm. Either is fine But im using the 8mm.
A u nut:
unut.jpg

Slip the u nut over the four plastic holes along the sides, You may have to bang it with something to make it slip in place. You can now push the sat nav unit all the way back and screw the unit in.

In this picture I have circled in green where the units are place. Its pretty obvious when you see yourself. (ignore the mass of wiries, thats for the bluetooth install!)

Finally clip the fascia adapter in place and away you go.

MFD2 VAG-COM coding. (Thanks go to VRStu for this information!)

When installing the MFD2 into a car not previously equipped with an MFD2 you will need to recode the CAN Gateway, Radio and your new Navigation Controller. Before changing the coding of any controller it is essential that you make a note of the original coding of that unit.

CAN Gateway - Controller 19
This controller uses Long Coding, recoding should be carried out using the Long Coding Helper built into VAG-COM. Select Byte 3 and put a tick in Bit 3 to enable Controller 37 Navigation.

Navigation MFD2 CD - Controller 37
Softcode should read 00002 or 00004 if you have Phone Preparation.

See my VAG-COM prgramming guide for futher help on how to do this!

If you have the bluetooth option, the units should mute when making a call.

That should be all! Enjoy!

Comning next... Complete OEM Bluetooth Retro-fit.

I've just fitted a MFD3 to my FL Leon FR TDI and I had to cut a section out underneath also. There is a section about 2" wide that sticks out in the middle of the plastic carrier that the head unit sits on. The VW version has a protrusion below the SD card slot that has to fit in this area. 5 mins with a dremel gets rid of this.

I have a query; is the coding the same as above for a MFD2 and a MFD3 or do I have to add more info? I have the bluetooth system and the High line display in my car...

Any help would be appreciated...

dayoagogo

Doe's anyone know who can decode a seat leon sat nav. I have fitted it all in GPS antenna etc but the sat nav came from a written off car and now i need to decode it.

I have tried my local seat dealer ship but they are as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd. Told me it wouldn't work unless they supplied and fitted 1 lol.

Any help would be great. I tried S G Petch as someone stated earlier but they couldn't help.

cdpdesign

Jul 13, 2010
try vag com? that might work, I'm not sure. Failing that , google for it. I used to have a program that could decode pins from the serial number. I'll have a look and see if I can find it...

dayoagogo

I tried searching through google and i have emailed manplaces just waiting for some contact. I f not i presume that the local seat dealer will have to do it. But they keep giving me all of this bull that the car has to be set up to use sat nav.

It all seems to be working ok brings up street names etc just can't use the stereo or route on sat nav