Head Gasket gone by 33k??

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Just went to the bodyshop this evening to collect my LCR
Started driving home and noticed smoke/steam, thought since it hadnt been driven in about 5 weeks may just need a while to warm up
After 30 to 40 minutes still lots of white wisps being seen out of wing mirrors and through back window becoming worrying as no other car was at all
Checked coolant and seems ok and temp holds at 90 degrees
Checked oil and it looks very thin almost like water and colourless (checks were done with a head torch in my dark street)
Been out just and temp gauge hit 90 in about 30 seconds and still smoking from exhaust
Looking at symptoms it looks like head gasket, but after only 33k and 4 years?
Any other ideas?? driveable??
I even left my house keys in the courtesy car too, not a good day

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
i would think if the head gasket had gone surley it would be using water? whats it runing like is there still power there?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
About 2 days before it got pranged i did have to put a little bit of water in
Power not quite what it used to be, like its holding back

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I can come and have a look tomorrow if you want, if the head gasket had gone you would have water in the oil it would look like mayonnaise or oil leaking from the gasket, I had something similar happen to mine , it was the breather which was blocked, but happy to have a look at it for you.

steve2k6

Where did you take your car! Is it possible that someone had been playing in your car and caused the damage?

regards

Ste

R3H

is your secondary water pump working? when u turn the car off it runs for a 15 min to serculate the water around the head evenly,if its not working you get hot spots which causes the head to warm down in different places which can course headgasket to go and even damage to head which i had happen on my LCR,was loosing coolant but was taken around a week or 2 to notice it in the coolant take, was smoking alot first thing and started to misfire

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
how do you know if the sencondary water pump is working? can hear a water noise in mine when you turn it off? wouldn't have thort head gasket at 33k?

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
if it makes you feel any better mines being checked over friday as well before i spend big money on cambelt mines 48k

are you sure its not the turbo on its way out?

Last edited:

R3H

if you turn ya car on or after driving when u turn it off open the bonnet,at the front near ya dip stick to the left there is a little pump and your here it working

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
An Update
Phillc met me at lunch time and we had a check in the daylight
Oil is fine so is level and no gunk under filler cap
Coolant is a manly pink and full and exhaust did not smel sweet (anti freeze)
Smoking is down compared to yesterday and temp did not rise as rapidly
Bodyshop must have removed battery as i had to refit cover, so all adaptions would be lost
Just put it down to not being driven for 5 weeks and needing to re adjust to super unleaded
Also just think leons seem to smoke/steam a bit anyway
Big thanks to Phillc for coming advising too:D

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
if you turn ya car on or after driving when u turn it off open the bonnet,at the front near ya dip stick to the left there is a little pump and your here it working

thanks i heard mine when i bought it and wondered what it was must be working. big relief.lol

R3H

yeah your right i had the same problem but my secondary water pump wasnt working head gasket went once had it replaced,then it went again few days later ruined the head so had a new head well a new PORTED head lol

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Secondary water pump is working fine
Located under slam panel slightly to the left, inline with end of inlet mani, looks to be aluminium casing. for anyone who want to check theirs

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
When i have fitted the bushes to your wishbones i'll drop them back and we can chat then maybe sort out a logging session
I would of offered you a cup of tea but really busy and its from a machine(not good)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise