Seat 170 Tdi FR 2008 Smoke from exhaust / Already changed alot

May 28, 2023
Good day. Basically, we just changed the cylinder head because it had cracks. We also replaced the wires for the injectors, and we had the injectors checked on the stand – all of which seemed fine. However, the car still emits white smoke. Do you have any suggestions on where to look next? The smell of the smoke is very strong, almost causing irritation in the eyes and nose. EGR seems to be working fine. The engine runs smoothly without any rattles or jiggles.

Here is video of the smoke - https://streamable.com/z5x4u0

Im lost , can't pass MOT

May 28, 2023
It's hard to describe the odor . maybe more of a fuel. Today, we performed a forced DPF burn - We thought maybe antifreeze was still in the DPF because it was leaking into the cylinders before. . Since the car is chip-tuned and DPF turned off, it helped for a while. However, after shutting down the engine for 30 minutes, it started smoking again engine was still warm. During the initial 30 minutes, it was running without smoke but with slight burn smell.

May 28, 2023
You've mapped the ECU, turned off DPF regen but not actually removed the DPF??

That's bad
The car is preowned, so it came like that. It wasn't taken care of. I'm trying to give the car a new life, but what do you mean by not removing the DPF itself? What harm can it cause?"

May 28, 2023
I was thinking of maybe re-chipping it back to factory settings. I have suspicions that it doesn't show what's faulty on dash correctly.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The car is preowned, so it came like that. It wasn't taken care of. I'm trying to give the car a new life, but what do you mean by not removing the DPF itself? What harm can it cause?"

The DPF will still catch soot, but if the regeneration has been turned off by an ECU remap it won't be able to clear it out. So you'll end up with a build up of soot.

Flashing the ECU back to factory settings is a good idea.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Depending on how long the car has been run without regeneration and still having a DPF, it might be worth getting the DPF cleaned out along with putting back to factory settings. If the soot is beyond a certain level it won't regenerate or if it does try to, small chance it could cause a fire I think

May 28, 2023
Update on the car: It wasn't chip-tuned. Nevertheless, we removed the DPF filter, and adjusted injectors (Siemens Piezo) and double-checked at a different stand (all good). We tested compression: 1 - 28 bar, 2 - 25 bar, 3 - 27 bar, 4 - 28 bar. However, smoke is still coming out. Any more suggestions on where to look? With each adjustment, the car engine works smoother, but smoke is still present.
IMG_20231201_083146.jpg

May 28, 2023
We tested without the MAF. No smoke, no smell. After changing to a new MAF and plugging it in, the same smoke comes out. Without it, everything is fine. Any suggestions on this?

May 28, 2023
Disconnecting the EGR caused the smoke to dissapear as well. I took the car to the MOT, connected it to a tablet, and removed the code just before the inspection. It passed emission test, but the problem is still present. There seems to be a wrong mixture somewhere. Any ideas?