How to tell if your turbo is dying

Richie180

Hi guys/girls

Does anyone know the life of the turbo's fitted to the (auq) engine,
My engine has done 107,500 miles and only 4 years old full service history, what kind of miles do i have left on the turbo and how do i tell if the turbo is dying, does it whistle more or less or a funny smell what?????

Thanks guys

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
hard to say
my gt4 was on its 3rd turbo by 100k
it depends what pressure the turbo runs at really as to its life
ive heard of turbo's been replaced on leons by 40k, so ive no idea

signs i always learnt was smoking from the rear and big loss of power

Richie180

ok thanks,
i've checked the service history and nothing of the turbo being replaced so in 3000 its booked into seat so i'll ask them if its on its way out,

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
The turbo went on my old leon Cupra at 85k, this was probably due to being chipped for 65k mind you.... It just gave a really loud whistling noise, no loss of power, but I mean I very very loud! You will know....

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
My R has done 90k and the turbo is fine, it's not re-mapped at all though so I'd expect it to last longer. There was a member on here that had a Cupra at 144k miles and original turbo. All depends how it's driven, warmed up and down etc etc... Look after it and it will look after you, thats my philosophy.

meep meep

Jun 22, 2006
My R has done 90k and the turbo is fine, it's not re-mapped at all though so I'd expect it to last longer. There was a member on here that had a Cupra at 144k miles and original turbo. All depends how it's driven, warmed up and down etc etc... Look after it and it will look after you, thats my philosophy.

Will a remap shorten the lifespan of your turbo then???????:(

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
my cupra r has done 67k miles in 2 and half years...53k of which have been remapped...has done quite a few trackdays as well but i regularly change the oil every 5000miles and let it warm up and cool down. Touch wood it seems fine!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise