Hub Strut Hub carrier??

elduderino

Hi all,

I did search first but couldn't find the answer to my problem.

I had a bad case of understeer and slid into a curb with the front right (drivers side) wheel.

The guy at the garage said I have bent the hub and very possibly the strut. He has advised me to buy a second hand strut which should come with a hub attatched, but when I have done searches it gives me a price for the strut (around £30) and a price for a hub carrier (around £70).

Do i need a hub carrier or is it just a hub? whats the difference does anyone have pictures??

Many thanks in advance.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
#14 - Hub or Drive flange/plate

#8/8A - Hub Carrier / Wheel bearing housing

*31/31a - Mcpherson Strut or Shock Absorber

#1 - Front Suspension arm / track control arm

Considering how tough the hub and carrier is and how the damage was caused i would make sure the strut and susp arm are checked over for damage

407100.png

elduderino

Aahh right,

Thanks for the quick response and the diagram.

There was paint flaked off on the inside of the crease where #8 is pointing, where it bent, so i need a new hub carrier I guess and the mechanic said best replace the strut as chances are that bent as well.

Is £75 + VAT + Delivery worth it do you reckon? and should I get the hub carier and hub so that the garage dont have to mess with bearings?

Cheers again

elduderino

OMG why is a hub carrier £50-£90 when a strut is £20?!?!?!?!?

elduderino

Does anyone know which hub carrier from the diagram above is on the 2.0 20v SE???

I just rang to arder the part and he said there are 2 types :(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
did you give him the reg/chassis number ?

size of the brake disc helps from memory also