Hybrid range

Mar 11, 2023
Hi,

I was wondering what is the range to drive hybrid on highway between 120 and 130 km/h

I know it depend on weight, wind and temperature but what is the average range before the battery will be empty.

im planning to drive from the Netherlands to Saintes (France) 900km, I can charge the battery at this location and then the next day further to Spain. Total trip range is 1400km. What is the best drive mode to use for this trip.
Any ideas are welcome.
Cupra Formentor 245.
Thanks

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I think having a hybrid is almost irrelevant for that trip. At speeds over 80 km/h (50mph) the wind resistance is such a lot of power is wasted pushing the car through the air and there's no oppotunity to regenerate (by braking, lifting off the throttle, etc.), you'd be lucky to get 25 km (15 miles) of battery only range at those speed, possibly less.

Use petrol engine only and save the battery charge for low speed manoeuvring at rest breaks and towns.

Mar 11, 2023
I think having a hybrid is almost irrelevant for that trip. At speeds over 80 km/h (50mph) the wind resistance is such a lot of power is wasted pushing the car through the air and there's no oppotunity to regenerate (by braking, lifting off the throttle, etc.), you'd be lucky to get 25 km (15 miles) of battery only range at those speed, possibly less.

Use petrol engine only and save the battery charge for low speed manoeuvring at rest breaks and towns.
Thanks, how to save the battery if I’m driving hybrid or do you mean, I have to change it in the battery management?
Thanks

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
+1 to what @dashnine said. I drive in hybrid mode and set the 'minimum battery level' to whatever battery charge there is (or a bit more ). That way it runs on petrol only, and when you get into town then turn that off and it will use dual mode depending on power demand and driving conditions.

Mar 11, 2023
+1 to what @dashnine said. I drive in hybrid mode and set the 'minimum battery level' to whatever battery charge there is (or a bit more ). That way it runs on petrol only, and when you get into town then turn that off and it will use dual mode depending on power demand and driving conditions.
Is it to set it up in battery management?

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Yes, if you go into the hybrid drive menu, you can tap the little icon on the right bit of where it says 'hybrid'. And then select the battery level you want to achieve /maintain

Naxterra

Apr 10, 2022
Set Hybrid mode and go normally. Battery won't matter because it is useless in long trips. You can charge it manually while driving, but your car will consume fuel like there is no tomorrow. On my last trip from Germany to Poland (and back), I drove around 1450 km and filled fuel tank 3.5 times

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
That's a thing. The petrol tank is tiny on the phev!

If you are driving distance to get into a city where it's a lot of slow and stop go traffic, I definitely find it better to use petrol on the motorway to get into town and then just use electric mode in town.