Ibiza 1.4 100bhp - Idling issues

sloath

Hello Everybody! First post on the forum! [B)]

I've got a 2007 Ibiza 1.4 100bhp, 19k on the clock, just serviced, and apart from this issue, sweet as a nut!

But, I've noticed in the mornings when I start the engine its idle isn't steady, it can be jumping from about 1100rpm to 1400rpm. Just sits there bouncing around for about 30 seconds, then settles down at around 1100rpm after that. What I have noticed though... The colder the morning the longer the bouncing idle.

It's just been in for its first major service at Seat, and they said this is a known, but not common problem, and as a result has had an ecu programming. This has made a slight improvement, but still doing it, now the car seems harder to drive when cold, can be quite jerky, and has what feels like the occasional hesitations when cruising at 60mph.

Also, similar question, not sure if this is normal? But... when driving around normally and you come to a stop and hold the car on the foot brake it will idle at about 1100rpm, as soon as you take your foot off the foot brake the idle will drop to 700rpm ish... is this normal?

The car is running on super unleaded (99) as I've noticed the manual says this is the preferred fuel for this engine. There are no error lights or anything else untoward, and I manage 52mpg easily!

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help! :)

Poverty

*** never seen 52mpg myself.

well its an 07 so plenty of warranty left, id just rag it for a day and see what the outcome is lol.

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
*** never seen 52mpg myself.

well its an 07 so plenty of warranty left, id just rag it for a day and see what the outcome is lol.

Me neither, 52 mpg sounds too good to be true!

I like the advice though, rag it for a day, lol even if it don't work u will have fun. Sounds to me like the auto choke seems to be playin up, sounds as if it knows its cold and needs to activate for a while till engine is a bit warmer but a temperature gauge isn't adjusting how much the choke is needed correctly?! (that's probably completely wrong)

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
Did you buy the car 2nd hand?
One of those cheap "25bhp gain" resistors wouldnt cause this would it by any chance?
I thought that they do something to do with temperature sensors fooling the fuel systems somewhere.

It could be that or just that there is some dirt in one of the connectors somewhere? Might be worth a quick check...

sloath

Thanks for the advice guys...

Rag it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yup 52mpg is real, but I've learnt *not* to trust the onboard computer, working it out with petrol used over distance gives a much different figure (in your favor!) - Also I should say that I don't "rag" it at all, car gives no arguments to 5th gear at 25mph!, consequences of being a lorry driver for some years, fuel efficient driving has been drummed in to me, though have had a career change since!

Yes the car is 2nd hand, but has been extremely well maintained by the last owner, and judging by his type, i'd be extremely surprised to find any mods.

Any ideas where I could be looking for dodgy connections on the temperature sensors?

Anybody have any idea about the foot brake and revs thing i've got going on, revs high when stopping on footbrake, release brake = normal (700rpm) revs

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
1100rpm seems quite a high idle speed for a 1.4. Does it idle at that speed when warm, in neutral and with handbrake on?

sloath

1100rpm seems quite a high idle speed for a 1.4. Does it idle at that speed when warm, in neutral and with handbrake on?

Hi Kriso,

When warm (90 deg on temp gauge), in neutral + handbrake, it idles at around 700rpm.

sl1m1thy

ANDREW CLEANTEEN ESQ.
Nov 23, 2007
INGELTON
www.myspace.com
1100 is way to high like for a 1.8 my mk2 gti idles at a bout 900k and wont idle right if thers not much fuel in her does it have idle issues all the time or is it intermitent>

sloath

It only has idling issues when she's cold, ie first thing in the morning. Fuel is never an issue as I never let it fall below 1/4 tank. Warm / Hot starts are fine, idles around 700rpm.

sl1m1thy

ANDREW CLEANTEEN ESQ.
Nov 23, 2007
INGELTON
www.myspace.com
it will probably just be that the engine is cold shouldnt be a major issue but like they said if its under warrenty take it in for them to have a look even if they dont find out still better to be safe than sorry

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise