Identify this electrical component - boot light holder

dynamis_dk

Jun 28, 2017
Barnsley, Yorkshire
So in my mission to add another light to my ST boot. I checked the part number and got the same unit from eBay but it would seem they are different. Mine seems to have a diode or something similar clipped in place where are the eBay one hasn’t got one. It was advertised for a golf mk7 but as the part number is the same I figured they would match.

many idea what the small electronic part is so I might be able to just add it myself?

mine is on the right in the image for reference

Attachments

• 26F16B79-501F-4BD1-946A-E4FB3328ED1E.jpeg
    26F16B79-501F-4BD1-946A-E4FB3328ED1E.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 104

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can't see 2 different light assemblies having the same part number - though maybe the part number that you are seeing is just for part of that light assembly, remember that the suffix if there is one, is also part of the part number.

Anyway, if it is possible, just read off the code/type of the diode and buy an equivalent online etc, or just buy a basic diode that can handle maybe 16V and 0.5Amp and fit it to the other one, depending on what the metal insert looks like, you might need to chop some of the metal insert away, if you can't separate the metal insert from the plastic cover, then I'd think that you will just have to buy the correct version from another source - or trust/accept that that diode on one light assembly is enough as you will be wiring the extra one in parallel to it.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Just plug it in and see if it works! If it does, all good. After all VAG multi-source components all the time.

dynamis_dk

Jun 28, 2017
Barnsley, Yorkshire
Haha, sorry I didn’t mention that bit. I’ve already tried it and it doesn’t work which is why I’ve posted. It works with the halogen bulb but not the LED ones I’d planned to use. The LED works fine in my housing so I know it’s not the bulb.

Cheers, I hadn’t thought of that it might be a number of part codes to make up the whole item. I guess technically it’s two parts as there is the clear base and the metal housing ‘top’ so maybe because I used the code on the metal top it doesn’t match the base.

I’m wondering if the easier route is just to go with LED replacement units instead then I won’t to need to buy bulbs and it should be a straight swap. I’ve seen several units which have an adapter provided to take it from the wiring / connector I have to the right smaller one on the LED housing.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I went with an aftermarket LED panel type direct replacement for my Ateca standard LED unit. The improvement was amazing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members