Ignition barrel wont turn

Wazza26

Oct 9, 2018
Hi all,

Purchased an ibiza yesterday and got home to find the ignition barrel refuses to now turn.

I've tried...

- given it a light spray of WD40
- moving the steering wheel down and up (steering lock appears to be on as there is little movement) whilst gently applying pressure on ignition
- holding in clutch (I don't think it a requirement of a car this age (10 reg)

Any suggestions welcomed. It's looking like a new ignition barrel, I think.

Unfortunately don't have a second key we could try...

Wazza

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Did you try to turn the steering wheel left and right (like as you were driving?). You mentioned up and down, was this releasing the catch, to move it? This perplexed me few times, until my friend said it's the steering lock in action. Never had what you said anymore...Or of course it could have been something else completely different!

Wazza26

Oct 9, 2018
Did you try to turn the steering wheel left and right (like as you were driving?). You mentioned up and down, was this releasing the catch, to move it? This perplexed me few times, until my friend said it's the steering lock in action. Never had what you said anymore...Or of course it could have been something else completely different!

Sorry, yes - I mean left to right. Still no luck

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The trouble might be that the key has been damaged by a door lock barrel, tricky situation if you only have a single key. Maybe difficult to work out which way to solve this, if you need a new barrel you should try to get one ordered in to suit your existing key and door locks.