In what order do I clean?

JamJay

California Bound
Hi people, can someone tell me the definitive answer to the above question?

A soon as Spring arrives and there is a good weekend, the car will be getting it's 1st thorough clean (one at the beginning of Spring, the other and the end of Summer/beginning of Autumn with thousands of washes in between to keep it looking good) but I have no idea in which order I am supposed to apply all of the products.

So obviously the wash comes first with the Shampoo, MF Wash Mit & x2 Buckets but what after that? (Oh, and what car shampoo is really good?)

So, I have:

- Clay Bar

- Quick Detailer

- Polish

- & Carnauba Wax

but not a clue if i should clay before both polish & wax, clay after polish or wax etc etc. I have always used the quick detailer (ie: Dodo Juice red mist) as more of a lube for the clay bar but is this wrong?

Unfortunately I have an Ovni Yellow machine that is prone to paint fade but my efforts so far have kept the paint nice & deep looking. It had a few layers of carnauba wax last year to give it some extra UV protection and seems to have worked :)

Thanks people!

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
the order is always

wash
clay,
cleanse/polish
glaze
sealant
wax

Not all steps will alsways be included, the glaze or sealant may be removed.

For you:

wash, clay, polish, wax

For clay lub, use some ordinary car shampoo mixed at 10:1 with water -save you some money ;)

Car shampoos - try to get pH neutral ones - dont strip the wax off you just spent so many hours applying.

JamJay

California Bound

So when should I add the detailer, after the waxing at the very end?

Making it wash & dry > polish > clay > wax & detailer?

Oh, any what are the glaze and sealant steps and what benefits would I see over my current plan?

Rubbish Boy

As you mentioned Red Mist, I think it should be pointed out that you wouldn't use Red Mist as a general quick detailer (as a clay lube or drying aid etc). It's a spray sealant designed to top up a wax or to add some extra bling. So you would use it at the very last step, after you have given the wax a few hours to cure or you would use it after you have washed and dried the car to give it a little pep up.

blackmajic

what do you think to the meguires 3 step polish etc, and if I want to try do mine every month, would keep repeating the same process just take off what I did the previous 3 step session?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.