Intake's and engine bay temps

Rhyswh

Sep 14, 2018
Hi!

I've just got myself a 2014 1.4tsi (140bhp) Leon FR. I've noticed that the engine bay get very, very hot! So hot that I can barely touch the bonnet stand after a drive. Firstly, is this normal?? The gauges I can check in the car are all reading fine (water sits at 90 and oil temp is low 90's).

I love the induction noise you get with an induction kit. I've seen the MST ones, my preference would be the open box one just to get more noise but I can't see it being effective given how hot the bay gets? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the closed box if I can't hear it?

Anyone got experience with both and can comment on heat soak and noise?

Ruhel™

Nov 19, 2023
England
Hi!

I've just got myself a 2014 1.4tsi (140bhp) Leon FR. I've noticed that the engine bay get very, very hot! So hot that I can barely touch the bonnet stand after a drive. Firstly, is this normal?? The gauges I can check in the car are all reading fine (water sits at 90 and oil temp is low 90's).

I love the induction noise you get with an induction kit. I've seen the MST ones, my preference would be the open box one just to get more noise but I can't see it being effective given how hot the bay gets? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the closed box if I can't hear it?

Anyone got experience with both and can comment on heat soak and noise?
I'm about to buy the MST one in January and have been thinking about this myself. My current intake temp gets to 54°c checked using Torque Pro and a generic ODB2 BT reader. I have a temp reader on my battery monitor and it says the engine bay temp is around 42°C (motorway driving for 1 hour).
Screenshot_20231222-180603.png
I'm looking at getting either of these two so I'll let you know if you haven't already got one.

Open Induction Kit
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 17.41.39.png Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 17.41.09.png

Closed Induction Kit
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 17.41.51.png Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 17.42.58.png

Ruhel™

Last edited:

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Got any links to one that would fit mine? Gonna have to see YT to see if they are easy to fit.

Well, you have to check IAT temperature at full WOT at 5-6K rpm with 3rd-4rth gear and see how much above ambient is.
Cold air intakes won't offer you so much at your setup. Any bolt on intercooler will offer you lower IATs at full WOT.
Such as

Also there is something more you can do if you want better performance in general. You can buy a Water Methanol Injection (WMI) kit.
You can inject from 50/50 methanol/distilled water to 80/20 and gain hp and lower IATs. You can do it without a remap but for maximum gains you need one.
These are your options, but first of all do proper logs!

Reactions: Ruhel™

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Have you still got the under bonnet blanket still in place, it may be for sound deadening but also helps retain heat, every little helps.

Ruhel™

Nov 19, 2023
England
Have you still got the under bonnet blanket still in place, it may be for sound deadening but also helps retain heat, every little helps.
Remove it? Noise is not going to be an issue as I'm getting the MST kit in the next few days and Res delete January.

Ruhel™

Nov 19, 2023
England
Well, you have to check IAT temperature at full WOT at 5-6K rpm with 3rd-4rth gear and see how much above ambient is.
These are your options, but first of all do proper logs!
Screenshot_20231224-145257.png

Did what you said. The intake reached 38⁰ and outside temp way 15⁰. The only thing is even with my foot to the floor the OBD2 reader said the throttle only ever reached 90%.

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
View attachment 39851
Did what you said. The intake reached 38⁰ and outside temp way 15⁰. The only thing is even with my foot to the floor the OBD2 reader said the throttle only ever reached 90%.
Look what I mean.
Full WOT
4th gear with 22 ambient I have 27 IAT
Typical IAT with stock IC was +15-25C°
You will never see 100% throttle position. Mine ends at 85.88%

Attachments

• IMG_3614.png
    IMG_3614.png
    345.5 KB · Views: 26