Juddering when accelarating

DVT

Hi ... just joined, first post and after some help! Sorry about this long story but I'm getting a bit desperate!

I have a 56-reg Leon 140 TDi 2-litre 6-speed, bought from a Ford dealer in April 2011, it has clocked up 71k (22k in with me). Recently I have experienced juddering when accelarating gently from about 1500 to 2000rpm - noticably in 5th or 6th gear under load (going up steady inclines). By feathering the throttle to get through that range it is fairly smooth and once over about 2300rpm not noticeable.

It was due for a service so took it to the independent who did the last service at about 60k. I told him the symptons and he told me straight-away it was dual-mass flywheel, so go the SEAT dealer as there had been a recall, although didn't know when. He also warned me about the cost. Others that I know inn the trade also said dual-mass flywheel, also common on Fords.

So, I take it to SEAT dealer who insisted on checking it out - they didn't try driving it but took it in the workshop and agreed it was dual-mass flywheel, but the recall did not affect my car as it was a later build. So car gets booked in. In the meantime I contacted SEAT and after some discussion get an agreed discount.

Flywheel and clutch (Sachs) get replaced. I cough up and get the car. I noticed it had clocked up 9 miles so had obviously been out on a test run. On the way home I get the juddering again. Phone dealer (it is about 25 miles from home) and was asked to take it back the following morning.

Take it back, mechanic shows me the flywheel removed and it was kna****ed - shook around so definitely needed changing. He now reckons it could be the EGR although had only ever come across that on an Ibiza 1.9 TDi (which is what I had before the Leon but didn't get that symptom!). Mechanic comes out with me for a run and he sees/feels the fault - from 1500rpm upwards when accelarating there is a horrible juddering - not the EGR he says, could be the fuel filter - when was it changed? Last service says I. What about the cambelt - don't know says I, was planning on that when it reaches 80k.

So, car gets booked in again and they've now had it a week (they have kindly lent me a Mii) - they replaced the fuel filter (said the one in was not a genuine VAG part) but symptom still there. They've used a stethoscope to try and trace the noise as someone presses the go pedal. Now suspect injectors (another big cost).

I've said I will pay to have it sorted, but not pay for any parts they fit that doesn't cure the problem. They have said cam belt should have been changed when car was 4 years old (I've seen 80pk as being the change time).

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? - I would have expected a main dealer to sort it out. Testing on their computer shows timing to be OK.

I have had work done by the dealer before - my previous Ibiza was bought from them, the Leon did have an air flow motor (?) changed a while ago.

All help gratefully received - thank you.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
I would get the EGR vavle cleaned! My TDi FR started to stutter while driving around town (sub 2k rpm) and once it had warmed up after 15 miles would stop. Cleaned the EGR and stuttering has near enough stopped, i still get the odd one but i dont get the big stutters when changing between first and second gear anymore.

Was your Ibiza a petrol or diesel?

Last edited:

DVT

Thanks for reply.

Mechanic dismissed the EGR when he felt how severe the juddering was, and also inconsistent. Said that the EGR problem had only been seen on Ibizas, and the Leon setup is different. My Leon is a 2.0 TDi 140 6-speed.

He does now seem to be going down the fuel/injector route. I have also seen postings about coil packs giving similar sort of symptom.

I would have expected the main dealer to have sussed it by now!

DVT

It is now over 4 weeks and the SEAT dealer still has my car. They have referred the problem to SEAT Technical in Milton Keynes - car is in Anglesey! I'm getting a bit fed up of the little SEAT Mii courtesy car and it's not big enough for a couple of trips in a couple of weeks time!

They say it cannot be EGR or DPF as that model did not have them fitted. It is a 140TDi 6-speed 2-litre Sport, first registered September 2006 although strangely the chassis number indicates it is a 2007 build (SEAT cannot explain that!).

My question is - does my car have EGR and DPF as standard?
Can anyone confirm please.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members