Just bought a Mk1

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi

I'm back after 15 years. I just bought a Leon Cupra R Mk1. All checked by a mechanic and look all good. There is some oil on the back of the engine and he reckons it's the rocker cover gasket. Is this common on these BAM engines?
Thank you

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi

I'm back after 15 years. I just bought a Leon Cupra R Mk1. All checked by a mechanic and look all good. There is some oil on the back of the engine and he reckons it's the rocker cover gasket. Is this common on these BAM engines?
Thank you
Hi mate welcome back.
Rocker cover leaks are common on the 1.8t yea they go brittle after afew years and turn into almost plastic then leak.
Nothing to worry about it’s a £40 repair if you do it yourself including sealant. Take a look on YouTube there are afew guides on there for rocker cover changes.
That way you’ll now what tools you’ll need before you start and where to put the dabs of sealant etc. they can also leak from the tensioner base there is a tiny gasket that can also leak the gearbox side of the engine that is abit more advanced and will cost a tiny bit more for the tool to lock tensioner etc.

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi mate welcome back.
Rocker cover leaks are common on the 1.8t yea they go brittle after afew years and turn into almost plastic then leak.
Nothing to worry about it’s a £40 repair if you do it yourself including sealant. Take a look on YouTube there are afew guides on there for rocker cover changes.
That way you’ll now what tools you’ll need before you start and where to put the dabs of sealant etc. they can also leak from the tensioner base there is a tiny gasket that can also leak the gearbox side of the engine that is abit more advanced and will cost a tiny bit more for the tool to lock tensioner etc.
Thank you

Reactions: 300bhpdaily