Keyless Entry

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I have keyless on my VW. It’s was a standard feature on my car but if it wasn’t, I’d never have specified as an extra cost option. I always temporarily deactivate keyless on my car - more from a security point of view than anything else - as would be perpetrators can’t then gain access to the car by using signal amplification relay equipment to fool the car into thinking they’d got the key (common method of stealing keyless cars).

On some newer VAG cars, you can temporarily disable keyless. The section outlining the procedure from the owners manual for my VW is below. As far as I’m aware, the procedure is the same for Seat on vehicles that have the functionality to temporarily disable this feature;

Temporarily deactivating Keyless Access
Keyless Access can be deactivated temporarily as described below so that the vehicle cannot be unlocked and started due to misuse by unauthorised third parties.

• Lock the vehicle with the ‘lock’ button on the vehicle key.
  • Then touch the sensor on the outside of the door handle once within five seconds. Do not put your hand around the door handle when doing this.
  • Keyless Access is now temporarily deactivated.
  • You can check that it is deactivated by waiting for at least ten seconds and then pulling the door handle. It should not be possible to open the door.
When the vehicle is next unlocked, it can be unlocked only using the vehicle key. The keyless locking and starting system Keyless Access is reactivated the next time the vehicle is unlocked.

With my car, it’s not necessary to wait ten seconds to check keyless has been deactivated. You do need to go through this procedure each time the car’s locked. IMHO that’s no great hardship; I’m used to locking / unlocking previous cars I‘ve owned using the buttons on my key fob.

Reactions: tsmiggy

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
Thank you.

It is a shame really they never made the option to deactivate it easier. I have a Ford Kuga, and it is in the settings. Just requires it to be ticked. It was for the reason of security that i removed mine, as i do not find any hardship using the fob. Equally my wife uses the fob.

I will try the method you suggested.

Once again Thanks

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
To be honest, if you're worried about a relayt attack, a Faraday pouch is probably the simplest protection. Or keep you car keys far enough away from the door/car - ie don't leave on a hall table, but the again 20m to the car might be a stretch! (No pun intended)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
To be honest, if you're worried about a relayt attack, a Faraday pouch is probably the simplest protection. Or keep you car keys far enough away from the door/car - ie don't leave on a hall table, but the again 20m to the car might be a stretch! (No pun intended)
I keep my car key / fob, including the spare, in a small lidded metal tin when they’re in the house.

For anyone using a Faraday pouch, it’s worth checking periodically that the pouch is still working as intended, as the pouch’s protective lining can wear or become damaged over time. To test the pouch’s effectiveness, put the key / key fob in the pouch, stand next to the locked car (that’s been locked using the keyless locking method) and try opening the door. If it opens, then the pouch is worn and needs replacing with a new one.

Delberthot

Sep 8, 2021
I bought one of these when I bought my last car, an Audi A5 Coupe, which had keyless stop/start. Althought Amazon are adamant that it doesn't fit the Ateca, it does.

Today's average car thief is lazy and doesn't want to spend 20 minutes with an angle grinder chopping up the steering wheel to steal a car

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I bought one of these when I bought my last car, an Audi A5 Coupe, which had keyless stop/start. Althought Amazon are adamant that it doesn't fit the Ateca, it does.

Today's average car thief is lazy and doesn't want to spend 20 minutes with an angle grinder chopping up the steering wheel to steal a car
The standard stoplock Pro won’t fit the Ateca, as I have one (that fitted my S3 - just). The Pro Elite, which is what you linked to, and what I also bought, has a bigger offset, and will clear the Ateca airbag.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members