Knocking on front end

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
All 4 subframe bolts were already as tight as I could get them by hand, with a breaker bar...I did use my foot and was able to do them up a little more though. I also have a new ball joint on the drivers side now. There was only a tiny bit of play with it on the car, but it's destroyed and needed to be replaced. Maybe that was the problem after all? But it definitely felt and sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. Hmmm

The tracking will probably be out even more now, but again, it's having new Pilot Sport 4's on the front (I currently have Rainsport 3's on the rear) and an alignment next week. I probably won't know if it's fixed for sure, until then. We'll see
PS5s have just come out in case you want to get those instead.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
PS5s have just come out in case you want to get those instead.
I wasn't aware of that...I already ordered the PS4's a few days ago from BlackCircles.com, as they had a bit of a discount on them tyre's. I didn't see the PS5's available on the website though, otherwise I would have bought them instead. Maybe when the rears need changing, I'll move the PS4's to the back and buy some PS5's for the front if they're any good :)

Reactions: Alexis27

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
So the problem is still there...After changing the drivers side ball joint and tightening the subframe bolts, it does seem a lot better. But the handling still isn't amazing (I assume that's down to the wheel alignment), and there is still a knock which sounds and feels like it's coming from the passenger side.

I ended up cancelling my wheel alignment as I would rather get this problem sorted first. I have new track rod ends which I haven't had time to fit yet, and I might order new subframe bolts as well. Then check everything again, for like the 4th time 😂 But most parts are brand new now, on the front end.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
I had a slight knock and it was the track rod ends.
It's a pretty bad knock on bumpy roads (most roads around where I live are bad)...But I have new track rod ends any way, as most other things have been replaced on the front so I might as well replace them as well, before I get the wheel alignment done. I guess I'll fit them, and keep this post updated lol

Reactions: Alexis27

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
I've been super busy, and the weather has been crap every time I get a chance to work on the car...So I haven't even touched the Cupra for a while 😬 I'm almost certain that the passenger side ball joint needs replacing again (it's about 7k miles old), so I have ordered some TRW ones which were recommended to me. From what I've been told they are an OE supplier for the main dealers, so should last a lot longer than the cheaper ones from my local part store 🤷‍♂️ I also still need to fit the Febi track rod ends which I will do at the same time as the ball joints, then get a wheel alignment and just hope that all of these problems with the knocking and what not has been fixed, finally. But it will probably be another week or 2 before I can get all those bits sorted.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
The strut damper rods are tightened to the mount bearing ok?
Horrible rattling clonks on the old Golf if this was awry.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
The strut damper rods are tightened to the mount bearing ok?
Horrible rattling clonks on the old Golf if this was awry.
Everything was tightened correctly (I double checked) when installed...But I'll check again. It does keep eating through ball joints as well though, so that could also be the/a problem 🤷‍♂️ I was told to buy some TRW or Lemforder ones, so I went with TRW and received Delphi ones. The seller claims that it's the same company, just under 2 different names. Does anybody know if this is the case?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
I’ve had a but of a scout and can’t find any link between TRW (owned by ZF I think) and Delphi (owned by BorgWarner I think)

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
I’ve had a but of a scout and can’t find any link between TRW (owned by ZF I think) and Delphi (owned by BorgWarner I think)
I did a quick google search and couldn't find any link either...It's a proper company selling these ball joints (GSF-Car-Parts), and they told me that TRW bought out Delphi a few years ago so it's the same company, just under 2 different names 🤔 I don't believe it though, so they have offered for me to return the items free of charge (they will pay for the return postage as well) for a full refund. And I have already bought some Lemforder ones from CarParts4Less. Slightly more expensive, but they should be correct at least.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
It's misery trying to sidestep the branding shenanigans.
I returned the Delphi ball joints and got some Lemforder ones from CarParts4Less...Can't really complain for £71 (everywhere else wanted at least £90). Was supposed to have 3 to 4 day delivery as well, as they wasn't in stock at my local store, but they arrived the next day. I just need to find the time to fit them now lol

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
I installed new Lemforder ball joints, Delphi track rod ends, and re-tightened the top mounts a few days ago (they were already tight but I did it any way)...I want to say it feels better than it was 🤷‍♂️ It still feels like something is knocking, BUT i do have polyurethane wishbone bushings, polyurethane top mounts, pretty stiff coilovers, and the standard wheels which have fairly low profile tyres from the factory. So a lot of what I'm feeling could just be bumps in the road. The last thing to do is get a front wheel alignment, because it was never perfectly in the first place but it's way out now 😂 Hopefully I can get that booked in for my next day off.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members