LED Headlight - drive side not moving during levelling, and pointing too low

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Hi all

I have a 2015 Leon ST that ive been pretty happy with over the last few years.

Since the winter has come in, ive noticed the headlight seem really low, particularly on the driver side (UK, so right hand side). Ive found the threads on here about adjustment, and ive adjusted the headlights, but i'm out of adjustment on the driver side, and its still too low. passenger side seems ok now.

The up and down adjustments seem quite sensitive and feel quite loose, so its not a surprise people have found they drop over time.

The left and right adjustment seemed to be working, but didnt seem to do too much, much less sensitive than up and down.

The car is standard, no suspension mods or anything. The level seems to work ok. When i start the car, the lights come up, move down, then back up and stay at the highest point. from what ive read, this suggests the auto levelling is working ok?

Have anyone else found they run out of height adjustment? the screw just clicks and doesnt adjust any more. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
My 2013 Leon used to drop the driver side headlamp (right side) upon startup in cold temps (anything below about 6’c). I never did get to the bottom of it. I am sure you’d have noticed, but just in case, here’s what the cold temp light fault looks like:

Oddly, on LHD cars, it’s the left hand one that doesn’t come up.

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks, actually, i spotted last night that the driver side light didnt seem to move at all during the levelling process when you start the car. I thought it was because you can clearlely see the lights move, but last night i parked against a wall and noticed it was only the passenger side moving.

In the video you posted, the driver side did seem to move a little, so I'll need to investigate that further. Its been like it for a while now, so it doesnt seem to be linked to cold weather in my case and im sure it was like this in the summer.

I did a few minutes reading around last night but i couldn't really find any suggestion of a cure.

Is there a way to reset the system?

Thanks

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Yeah that’s right, the beam would look like it was gonna come up, but kind of gets stuck. I think clearly something was failing on mine, perhaps yours is where they ultimately end up, i.e. stuck down so no matter what the temperature, it’s stuck.

The only reset I used was to turn the car (full engine, not just ignition) off and on until the lamp finally came up. Sometimes that would be immediately, other times it would take a few attempts.

I'm afraid I don’t know more than that, as I decided to live with it until I could get the car into a dealer overnight during colder months, but I ended up p/ex’ ing it for a MK 3.5 (facelift) Leon, which of course had a new headlamp design.

Edit: just discovered a thread on pistonheads which suggests it might be something in the unit itself, i.e. needs a new headlamp 😕😐
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=1717006

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks for that, ill have a proper play with it at some point. Seems a widespread issue. Hopefully i can find a solution somewhere.

Reactions: Bubbs