leon 2.0 tdi 150 loosing coolant & burnt smell from expansion tank

smokeydominic

Jul 28, 2011
Hi All

I have a recurring issue on my 2014 leon 2.0 tdi, the coolant keeps disappearing, but I can do over 200 miles each time before it goes again, but after each journey there is a burnt smell which is worse if you smell the coolant water tank lid. the water appears to dissapear gradually over approx 200 miles and its not necessarily journey dependant for example i did a 150 mile motorway drive, then around town then 50 mph motorway drive before when starting it the warning for no coolant came on and the bottle was empty. the heating is also temperamental, for a long time the right two vents didnt blow very hot whilst the left two were hot as they should be, now sometimes those two get hot and sometimes even on heat only the air conditioning works.

The car has never indicated its overheated, nor the coolant going above 90, and the oil temp never exceeds 100 degrees. it drives fine just like before perhaps with slightly less power but this could be my incorrect diagnosis. it appears to smell of something i didnt notice before from the exhaust.

theres a lot about this engine water pump plastic sleeve failing on google on the skoda forum but only one other example on here who stated heater matrix & water pump. there appears to be a 'tpi' to state the problem to the dealers & that the new water pump is of a revised design, but I cant find it for seat, only skoda and in Czech. with that in mind does anybody know if I would have any luck with dealership goodwill if it is this problem, my cars done got full main dealer service history.

smokeydominic

Jul 28, 2011
forgot to say also engines has always since i got it been rattley, sounding like on three cylinders when iding, worse at cold but still bad when warm, it sounds almost like there is a penny rattling around in it, if you raise the revs ever so slightly it sounds much better

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
assuming the radiator and plumbing is all ok then it's got to be either the head gasket or the egr cooler IMO

using the main dealer to diagnose the problem would be my first step

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Had the symptoms you described, diagnosed as egr valve and gaskets by Seat.
Car was a few months out if warranty but had full dealer service history, Seat customer service and the dealer split the cost between them.
Was about nearly £700 due to the amount of labour just to get to the egr

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise