leon cupra knocking whilst on bumpy road and engine not under load

russT

Jan 9, 2005
i have had a problematic noise with my car for a few months and i think it's starting to get worse.

it happens when the going over bumpy roads (imagine something like potholes) and the engine is not under load (i.e. engine braking / coasting).

the noise seems to be some kind of knocking, as if something is loose or broken. the noise comes from the passenger side front wheel area (outside the cabin).

does anyone else have the same problem? i am wondering what it is and if i can fix it.

info about my car (if this helps)....

2001 Leon Cupra
106K (yes, i drive my car everyday)
carbonio CAI - i did at first think it could have been this but want confirmation
supersprint exhaust - cat back

please someone help me out! i am also considering getting revo but dont want to if it's gonna break this thing which is knocking! any advice for a +100K car on revo?

cheers,
russell.

over55

Had this problem on my LCR. Very intermittent at first depending on road, weather, temperature. Dealer could not replicate the noise could never find the 'right' stretch of road. Eventually it occured frequently enough for them to hear it and they replaced the anti-roll bar, under warranty, which solved things.
Cheers
Mike

russT

Jan 9, 2005
aah, so i need to get the wheel up and see what's not right.

cheers for the responses!

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
Its the anti-roll bar bushs (thats probably not spelt right) i have had to have them changed on my last 3 cars and i am blaming speed bumps and pot holes.

they stealers will do under warranty or a local garage will replace both for about 120 squids.

russT

Jan 9, 2005
ah. so a couple of possibilities now. starting to think i'd best take it to a garage for a proper look.

thanks again!

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Im 99.999999% sure it will be your drivers side ball joint.

I had my 1st mot a few weeks back and failed due to it. I had all the same symptoms as you so am pretty certain you have the same problem.

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Mitchy said:
Im 99.999999% sure it will be your drivers side ball joint.

I had my 1st mot a few weeks back and failed due to it. I had all the same symptoms as you so am pretty certain you have the same problem.

On my first MOT, mine was the passenger side one....:cry: