Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

Car has been in today and they have confirmed injectors DON'T need replacing. The service advisor went through all the tests they do - my injectors are running at full capacity with no issues with them been blocked etc and running at full strength. For the time being, I have nothing to be concerned about...

I wonder if they have cleaned them out, as the car feels much more responsive!

jfarhead

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone here for pushing with VOSA and chasing up SEAT regarding this issue. When I started the VOSA thread on Audi-Sport.net, I didn't expect the issue to have been so widespread and for so many people to help out across all the forums!

VOSA's latest email:

======================

To answer your question. Yes VOSA are still in talks with the VW Group.
They currently have in place a process with their Customer care teams where
they will replace all 4 injectors and the loom free of charge for any
customers who are concerned about this issue.

The VW group are currently in the process of preparing a more customer
friendly solution, and therefore they are trying to build sufficient
parts stock to achieve this.

Using the following customer care contact numbers should be able to sort
any issues they may have regarding this concern.
Volkswagen (Tel 0800 0833914)
Audi (Tel 0800 699888)
Seat (Tel 0500 222222)
Skoda (Tel 08457 745745)

======================

I have not had a the chance to participate in person on this forum (restricted to Skoda and Audi) due to the filters at work.

Just want to ask everyone to keep sending in forms if they have failures, even if SEAT replace them with no issues. The pressure needs to stay on till there is a recall as you know as much as I do that most owners don't find out until it is too late.

Please "like" the facebook page so that we can help our friends abroad push for similar action:
Link: facebook.com/pages/Fix-the-VW-AUDI-Skoda-Seat-Pd170-TDI-Injector-Failure/156033921135623 (add www)

Report to VOSA:
dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm (add www)

Also know your rights. You are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979:
• Goods must "conform to contract", without an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted
• The seller is responsible for up to six years after purchase

I am one of two people (to my knowledge) that has had a failure on the NEW injectors. I will put it down to bad luck unless others get the same issue too.

Audi are only partially refunding me because my garage did the job in more than 2 hours, so they are only paying up for 2. I am looking into chasing the rest up in court and will update if I get any results.

Anyway, like I said, thanks to everyone on this forum, like the others, for pressing with the issue, and good luck with your refunds and swaps!

J

jfarhead

Apologies if I have repeated any information already posted throughout the discussion, but I am not able to get through all the trail in detail.

DJXFM

I'd like to echo those thoughts! I pushed VOSA to apply pressure to SEAT when my car engine stopped on me in the middle of a motorway. SEAT couldn't diagnose precisely which injector was at fault so I spoke to the chap at VOSA who dealt with my initial report to them and he was very understanding and supportive. He instructed SEAT to carry out the replacement of ALL the injectors and the wiring loom which they duly did!

Just keep pushing if you know it's an injector problem. VOSA know about it, SEAT know about it, it's potentially a very dangerous problem and it'll get done if you keep going on at people about it. I would say that SEAT were very helpful but had their hands tied a little bit by not knowing exactly what my fault was but got on the case extra quick when VOSA got involved.

Good luck guys and a big thankyou to everyone who has contributed their experiences to this and other threads. Spread the word!

Last edited by a moderator:

DJXFM

I haven't caught up with the specifics of your case but if your car has stopped like mine did I'd push them! I think they may need to diagnose an injector problem to get the ball rolling to replace the faulty parts. Phone Seat customer services and run it past them if you haven't already they were really good for me.

jfarhead

Indeed, if you have the old injectors and you are concerned, they should be replaced FOC along with the loom. Skoda and Audi customers are having this done.

The first response from the dealerships is usually either that they are not aware of this issue, or that they will charge for diagnosis. That is nonsense. The check is free and if you have old injectors, they should replace them along with the loom. Make sure you get something in writing (0 charge receipt) with the part numbers listed if you want to know what went in for sure.

They will no doubt put up a fight, but get in touch with SEAT and also with VOSA if they make a fuss because it's your car, your safety. THEY supplied these problematic injectors, why should you drive around in them because they want to save a couple of £?

Don't let them get away with it. We're still getting newbies joining forums who are being quoted for this repair! Which either means they're only trying to pay out for people who already know and not informing garages about the VOSA agreement, OR it's a disgusting money saving/making tactic the garages are employing.

Bottom line, if you're concerned and have old injectors, you get them swapped free, not excuses from them, it's in black and white, one call to VOSA will confirm this.

Keep pushing!

matt_j

Had a call from Seat Preston a few days ago asking if I remembered breaking down and having had to have an injector replaced only a few weeks ago...

The sales pitch then came that I was a very lucky boy and Seat would be paying for another 3 new injectors and fitting for free. It's going in tomorrow - will check for the loom replacement also and get written confirmation the work has been done.

The occasional stuttering on acceleration that was happening before the first one went is coming back again so I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before it went pop again.

brookey

just had favourable result from seat uk.
lost 2 injectors in last 6 months at a cost of £1400 got in touch with seat uk and had a reply to e mail in brief they will re imburse me the £1400 and my fr is booked in for the other 2 injectors and the top wiring loom free of charge. work to be done 01-09-11 at listers coventry.
send any complaint/quiry to [email protected] for the attention of simon ackroyd. he is in charge of all injector issues.

After 3 days of not been able to call Seat UK due to the weekend bank holiday.

I believe someone called Simon Ackroyd is dealing with the injector issues on all of these engines and I told him the issues I had and been told all 4 injectors and wiring loom will be replaced free of charge. I'm hoping I have a courtesy car here by lunch time too!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
After 3 days of not been able to call Seat UK due to the weekend bank holiday.

I believe someone called Simon Ackroyd is dealing with the injector issues on all of these engines and I told him the issues I had and been told all 4 injectors and wiring loom will be replaced free of charge. I'm hoping I have a courtesy car here by lunch time too!

Nice to know your speaking to Simon aswell, I contacted SEAT UK regarding the Injector failures, For you that dont know i have a fair few contacts inside SEAT UK, i run a few forums that speak to the Volkswagen Group for PR Events etc

Ive asked SEAT UK for the old part numbers and the new part numbers so i can check what my 58 plated car is fitted with, ive asked them basically if i find i do have the old parts that i want them replaced before they do blow

Simon's response today was basically he wasn’t sure if they are investigating the same problem so i think i might try set up a meeting down in there HQ (I can walk there in 5 minutes) because there obviously trying to deny its a common problem still

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Interesting, I thought the 58s would be okay though?

I'm getting collected at 3pm to go down for my courtesy car.

Well im under the impression that the problem was isolated before 58 plate so my car should already have the new ones but i want this confirmed! i regually travel around the country in this car so ive told them if i do find mine has the old ones i want it sorted before they blow