Leon Mk3 SC FR 1.8 DSG Impressions

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I have now had my car for a month and it is now run in, so here are some first impressions.

My previous car was a Fabia vRS estate Mk 2 DSG, so power is a little down on that, however the Leon Sport mode is usable and delivers reasonable 30 m.p.g. In Sport the vRS gave 15 m.p.g. and regularly used 7,000 rpm so only really sensible for track day use.
I notice 7th gear is used in Sport when up to speed, vRS never went over 5th.
The DSG is better, especially the ability to select Sport by a single pull on the lever.
Down changes in Sport are a little too severe, but I am getting used to it.
The car is really quiet at most speeds; I have to keep checking the speedo.
The equipment level is superb; touch screen; voice activation; phone integration is really good.
Not so happy with the sat nav, but once the dealer showed me how to input 7 character post codes it performs quite well, but not as good as my removable low end Tom Tom.
The road handling is superb and the general ride comfort is better than the vRS without any loss of confidence in its ability to stay on the road.
Whenever I touch the door panel inside, it leaves a white mark from my skin contact.
Boot floor area is slightly greater than my vRS, so model aeroplanes and fishing tackle go in fine with the rear seats down.
The LED lights inside and out are superb, except for the dimming panel lights covered elsewhere.
There is no dash indication that I have dipped headlights on, just full beam, fog and rear hazard lights appear to have dash indication.
The low seating position is quite sporty and the driving position for me is ideal.
The engine has burnt no oil; the vRS drank it until it was modified a few months ago.
It is the first car I have owned with no rattles.
The red paint finish is superb, almost no orange peel.
The dipping reversing mirror is very handy as are the front and rear parking sensors because we have inconsiderate neighbours on our shared driveway.
I have my favourite CD's on a USB stick and this works well, but I can't get album art to work.
yet.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but this is a nice forum and I shall keep in touch.
Tony:)

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Great post Tony :) i get the impression you like the car ;) I'm itching to get my hands on the leon I have ordered and frequenting this forum doesn't help :cool:

Last edited:

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
I have now had my car for a month and it is now run in, so here are some first impressions.

My previous car was a Fabia vRS estate Mk 2 DSG, so power is a little down on that, however the Leon Sport mode is usable and delivers reasonable 30 m.p.g. In Sport the vRS gave 15 m.p.g. and regularly used 7,000 rpm so only really sensible for track day use.
The DSG is better, especially the ability to select Sport by a single pull on the lever.
The equipment level is superb; touch screen; voice activation; phone integration is really good.
Not so happy with the sat nav, but once the dealer showed me how to input 7 character post codes it performs quite well, but not as good as my removable low end Tom Tom.
The road handling is superb and the general ride comfort is better than the vRS without any loss of confidence in its ability to stay on the road.
Whenever I touch the door panel inside, it leaves a white mark from my skin contact.
Boot floor area is slightly greater than my vRS, so model aeroplanes and fishing tackle go in fine with the rear seats down.
The LED lights inside and out are superb, except for the dimming panel lights covered elsewhere.
There is no dash indication that I have dipped headlights on, just full beam, fog and rear hazard lights appear to have dash indication.
The low seating position is quite sporty and the driving position for me is ideal.
The engine has burnt no oil; the vRS drank it until it was modified a few months ago.
The dipping reversing mirror is very handy as are the front and rear parking sensors because we have inconsiderate neighbours on our shared driveway.
I have my favourite CD's on a USB stick and this works well, but I can't get album art to work.
yet.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but this is a nice forum and I shall keep in touch.

Hi Tony,

Good post, just a quick question, how do you input postcodes? cheers

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi Tony,

Good post, just a quick question, how do you input postcodes? cheers

Click 'New Destination'

Then 'Town'. As the new box pops up you'll see the button bottom left on the screen now shows 'PtCd'.

Click it to enter postcode. One of the least intuitive systems ever created in a car, no doubt.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Click 'New Destination'

Then 'Town'. As the new box pops up you'll see the button bottom left on the screen now shows 'PtCd'.

Click it to enter postcode. One of the least intuitive systems ever created in a car, no doubt.

Cheers I'll give it a go :coolthumb

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

yet.

White marks on interior trim appear to be common on VAG interiors, both the Leon and Passat do it.
Regarding dipped beam on indication, there is one ( ha ha) if you have the lights in auto when dipped beam comes on the green sidelight indicator ( next to the rotary light switch) illuminates. Complete waste of time imho.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.