Leon or Astra

ander

Basically i am looking at the above cars. They are a Leon 1.9 TDi Cupra or an Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi.
I know this is stupid to put it on the seat website but i am after reasons why i should go for one of these cars over the astra as at the minute i cannot make my mind up. What makes the leon that little bit more special?

Comments welcome
Thanks

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The new Astra sporthatch looks superb, if that's the one you're after? And the build quality is every bit as good - if not better - than the Mk1 Leon. Good engines too, so performance in the real world will be similar.

Best thing to do is drive both and see what you prefer. Ignore figures on paper and crap like that, go and drive both and see what you prefer the feel of.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
interior in the astra ain't too hot - mind you leon ain't a masterpeice!
mmm, only thin that would sway me is the tunning possiblity and the fact that its a vag engine!

oh! important one! resale value! seen the price of used vauxys? cheep as chips!

Lee M

Hi mate,

I'm assuming that they are the older style body shapes?

If so I personally think that the leon is the better car with regard to build quality.
We have astra vans at work and driving the hatchback is the same as driving the van (but slower).

Tuning the leon TDI is probably also easier. Plus you can be a member of this site :)

Not a biased view cos I'm not really a diesel lover.....

If its the new style then I like the look of the new Astra more so................as RobM says, go for a drive in both and weigh up the costs to see what suits you best.

Cheers

Lee

ander

The astra is the new shape.

I've seen 55/06 astra's for like £10,500 with average mileage. Which is a horrendous loss.
The leon does seem to hold its value really well from what i have seen compared to the astra.
Where i live there are hardly any leons so i suppose thats good in a way. It's something a bit different.
I think i'll just have to take one out for a spin and make my mind up!!

ander

Nope lol i'm having a bit trouble finding one of the astra's local, same with leon. none really caught my eye locally.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I like the look of the new astra but it is slow and doesnt handle well imo its far too bouncey I am a member of a vauxhall site and have heard alot more problems with the astras with recard to steering racks and timing chains. But they are nice and cheap to service etc etc so aslong as you dont dry steer and keep an eye out for this stuff youd be fine.

But my trade to a leon is much nicer. id like to start with GEARBOX i have never had a box smoother in a similar car. the vauxhall one is a alot clunkier.

Leons are alot rarer and a bit more special id say, the handling is better and it looks nicer but a bit dated.

The astra is alot more futuristic and mods will be cheaper and more easily available.

test drive both and see what you think chances are the astra will be more specced than the leon.

IOMMAN

Mar 13, 2004
Isle of Man
Hi James, I have recently gone from a LCR to Astra SRI 2.0t Sport Hatch and I would certainly recommend the Astra Sport Hatch Don't get me wrong the Seat Leon is a great car and I enjoyed owning and driving one for the 3 years that I had mine. But I felt the time was right for a change and I found a flame red 05 Astra SRI Sport Hatch with 14000 miles on the clock, leather heated seats & sat nav on 18" alloys.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Hi James, I have recently gone from a LCR to Astra SRI 2.0t Sport Hatch and I would certainly recommend the Astra Sport Hatch Don't get me wrong the Seat Leon is a great car and I enjoyed owning and driving one for the 3 years that I had mine. But I felt the time was right for a change and I found a flame red 05 Astra SRI Sport Hatch with 14000 miles on the clock, leather heated seats & sat nav on 18" alloys.

Like i said both nice cars may have a few more problems with the astra but again you may not but the astra will be specced higher. alot more leather around etc.

I just love the way the leon looks and always have since my dad got one as a courtesy car when i was 15 was gorgeous.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think we would all agree that even though the astra's as good but they are common. Leons are much rarer and people do look and think what is that still to this very day...

Cran

Jun 9, 2003
Cambridge
Visit site
Have you seen the Vauxhall adverts?

I doubt it, cos no one in their right mind would even consider buying a vauxhall if they had...

I guess if you have an anorak with pockets large enough for an A3 notebook for train numbers, a box of sandwiches, and a large flask of tea... then the Astra would be ideal.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
This is the same situation as I was in before I bought my Leon. The majority of cars I've owned have been Vauxhalls and I suppose there was quite a bit of brand loyalty. I test drove the 1.9cdti sri 150 before finding the Leon and the ride is good for everyday comutting and long motorway journeys though it gets boring and tiresome after a while. I found there to be a suprising lack of feedback and I was never sure how far away from the limit I was when throwing it around twisties and country roads. The interior is bland and boring, particularly the centre console; it looks like there should be something there with all the empty space.
The Fiat sourced engine is a strong contender and almost every bit as good as the VAG unit but I found that the turbo doesn't give the same oomph as I get in the Leon. The performance feels similar between the 2 but the Astra doesn't feel as quick. Looks wise, I think the Astra (Sport Hatch) wins hands down but I fear that it could look dated soon. Also regarding the looks, when driving around, look in your rear view mirror, they look very similar to a Vectra... I think Vauxhalls designers have become very lazy by making all their cars look the same.
Astras are common too, I don't think there's a street anywhere that doesn't have an Astra sitting in it somewhere. With there being so many around, parts are relatively cheap and easily available. This is what put me off the most. I don't want a car that everyone else has.

IMO the Leon handles better, is more involving and the power delivery feels sportier. There aren't as many about so you get some exclusivity and many jealous looks at traffic lights from Astra drivers. The Leon is more spacious (sp?) and still looks gorgeous being a 5 door. Granted it's more expensive than the Astra but they hold their value alot better come trading in time. Brand snobbery also comes in to play... "My car is better than yours because it's more expensive" type of thing....

It totally depends on what you want and what your driving style is. If you want comfortable (and somewhat boring compared to the Leon) cruising, get the Astra. If you want to be progressive and feel involved, get the Leon.

Just my 2p.

the_italian

a3 diesels are nice, but basically the same inside as the leon

both nice cars, an i'd take both over the astra anyday

chughes163

Jul 1, 2007
Oxford, UK
the 1.9tdi engine in any VAG car seems to be a great choice. Theres nothing wrong with the new astra at all - good looking car, but i would stick with VAG.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Don't discount the Focus either... dull to look at but a good drive :)

Beg to differ, Focus diesel engine is shocking. In the old shape the handling was good, but the engine would deliver all its power in one lump meaning lots of wheel spin if the wheels were anything other than straight. That said this version is much better than the new shape. Engine is worse, and to be honest doesn't even feel like a turbo diesel. THe steering is wooly and does not feel connected to the car. Very front heavy and have a massive tendancy to understeer.

I would avoid the Focus like the plague in diesel form.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Is it the new Leon or the old one you're looking at? Just wondering because you said you're looking at 55/06 Astras - if you want a Leon of the same age it'll be a mk2

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.