Leon through car wash!

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
So Flak Munky...

What's wrong with my lovely new sponge ?

:cry:

I don't get any marks or scratches (thorough jet wash first) and I dry off with AutoGlym Autodry artificial Chamois leather, which lasts years, leaves no bits or marks, and is fully washable. I have 6 of em ! :D

Sponges are bad.....they pick up the grit and grime from the panels of the cars and stay on the sponge even if you put the sponge back in the bucket. You can see minor swirling and very fine scratching if the car is under a halagen light. Its not nice.
Wash mitts lessen the effect because the grit, dirt etc will come out of the mitt when its rinsed in the bucket.
There is a lot more info in the detaling bit of the forum about this and on other places on the interweb.
Alex

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Also because of the deep pile on a lambswool mitt, the grit that is picked up doesn't stay on the surface of the paintwork and then cause swirling...

You would be amazed at the amount of grit in the bottom of your bucket if you used a grit guard... Even from a fairly 'clean' car.

TYou may not think you have any marks or scratches as you can only see them in bright sunlight (or under a halogen lamp) and they will show up as swirls...

Have a look over at www.detailingworld.co.uk

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
tescos do a reasonable amount of car stuff now, cheap microfibre towels and wash mits. obviously not as good as the likes of the megs branded stuff but for the money it does the job.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Grit Guard ?

Blimey !
My girlfriend reckons I am a right paranoid OCD perfectionist, but you guys make me seem like a dirty, scummy CHAV ! :blink:

My car sits in a VERY brightly lit garage with white walls, heater, painted floor...(very McLaren) and no sign of any swirls on my honed paintwork.

However I will still take your advice, chaps, - anything to raise the standard ! ;)

So where can I get a pervy mit and one of these "Grit guards" ???

:confused:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Blimey !
My girlfriend reckons I am a right paranoid OCD perfectionist, but you guys make me seem like a dirty, scummy CHAV ! :blink:

My car sits in a VERY brightly lit garage with white walls, heater, painted floor...(very McLaren) and no sign of any swirls on my honed paintwork.

However I will still take your advice, chaps, - anything to raise the standard ! ;)

So where can I get a pervy mit and one of these "Grit guards" ???

:confused:

I have a list at home and links too. Will email them to you later on tonight.
Alex

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Lol...

You have much to learn, Young Jedi... Before you are a Master!

Wait 'til you hear about a PC, paint cleansers, sealants, glazes and waxes..... There is a reason to my madness, I love a clean shiny car and a bit of hard work one weekend will last for 8+ weeks. The following pics were taken 6 weeks after I sealed the paint work with AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection, followed by Dodo Juice Blue Velvet wax. Since then all I have done is wash and a dry it... Water is still beading nicely on the paint work.

LeonFR01.jpg

LeonFR02.jpg

LeonFR03.jpg

LeonFR04.jpg

Last edited:

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Anyone tried the Turtle Wax Extreme range? That seemed to work magic on the old motor, stayed clean for weeks regardless of weather...yet to try it on the Leon though!

flakmunky

Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Its a Cupra grill so its Black gloss... £36 from the $tealer... Thinking of going for the Cupra mirrors as well and possibly the cupra window bits but the rears are supposed to be hard to fit...

Last edited:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I don't like the nasty matt silver mirror covers on the FR.

You should change them sir !

Have any of you ever noticed how much noise they make ?

I test drove one and the matt finish actually generates drag noise.

Bizarre and somewhat disturbing...(I sense a great disturbance in the force, master !)

Get those Cupra ones... :drool:

AndyWolves

Well, with all you guy's getting into a lather (sorry..) about handwashing your cars, I thought i'd chip in and say I wouldn't be seen dead wasting my time handwashing my Leon... After all, it is a company car.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise