Living with the Leon FR TDI - a week of ownership

emkay dk

20"
Jan 5, 2008
great first post - gets me in a good mood when reading about your first month with your FR TDI :)

can't wait 'till you try a cupra hehe ;-)

dshiels

Just want to add to what SN8 said about his TDI FR. I bought a and FR TFSI DSG about a month ago (ex demo) and absolutely love it.

I am extremely fussy when it comes to cars and have really struggled to fine one that ticks all the boxes. I have went through 11 cars in just over 3 years!!

Yes it has a few little niggles and crap speakers but what I have learn is that every car has its problems. The problems with the Leon as just a lot more minor than previous cars I have had, including cars which cost twice as much.

The Leon was also not bought as the "budget" option. I drove the Cupra, Golf GTI, Focus ST3, Civic Type R and VXR Astra in the same day before choosing.

Quite a few of my friends and work colleagues are badge snobs and had a chuckle when I purchased the Leon (they usually eagerly await my new arrivals). But I quickly take them for a drive or give them the keys and their attitude changes as soon as they sit in the car. The driving position is excellent.

The only snobbery I have experienced is from other Leon Cupra drivers who comment that I should have bought the Cupra. Not to start an argument here but I disagree. The Cupra is a really excellent car and perhaps that will be my next car but for now I love the DSG box and for me its worth the sacrifice in power. I have Supra if I want to go for a blast but for day to day driving the FR is more than quick enough....

So basically the car puts a real smile on my face everytime I get to drive it. Its made my daily 80mile round trip fun again and I especially love changing peoples false perceptions.

Anyone thinking of an FR - just go and buy it! Petrol or diesel, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
The Leon was also not bought as the "budget" option. I drove the Cupra, Golf GTI, Focus ST3, Civic Type R and VXR Astra in the same day before choosing.

Couldnt agree more, I test drove exactly the same cars as you, but the FR is still my preferred choice (although it was tough against the GTI) and i cant wait to get my TFSI FR late March :)

dshiels

Yes it was tough against the Golf but the Leon gave a more comfortable driving position and a sportier more involving ride in my opinion.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
Well I am now nearly 10 months in! :)

.. and how much has changed since I wrote that first post? Just about nothing :D

I still love driving her, finding an excuse to drive her and I have no plans to change any time soon. Now I have put another 6k miles on her, she is really opening up. My driving style has adjusted to driving a high power derv, so I change just when I need and ride the torque :)

10 months ownership report... nothing but fun.. I still believe I am not yet driving it to get the best performance out of her, that's the challenge. She really does surprise me sometimes, kicking me back in my seat. I love my Leon <3

dshiels

Yeah it was fun and the deposit was on the Leon by 1pm lol.

Sorry to hog the post S8N. Glad you are still enjoying the car

leonfr170

Jun 16, 2007
7 months into ownership and approx 18,000 miles and my views are mixed. when its on a roads i can't see me enjoying any other front wheel drive car more but bit too much road noise for my 120 mile/day commute and there seems to be a rattle which i swear is going to drive me loopy! its a decent car, shame they didn't spend a little more on interior build quality and finish though - some padded door inserts would be great rather than nasty hard plastic - i'm being too picky aren't i?!

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
7 months into ownership and approx 18,000 miles and my views are mixed. when its on a roads i can't see me enjoying any other front wheel drive car more but bit too much road noise for my 120 mile/day commute and there seems to be a rattle which i swear is going to drive me loopy! its a decent car, shame they didn't spend a little more on interior build quality and finish though - some padded door inserts would be great rather than nasty hard plastic - i'm being too picky aren't i?!

yes :p

:whistle:

My BLACK MAGIC Leon MK2

I've had my Leon Mk2 for 3 months now - and after 7000 miles it's an awesome car. I just did a 700 mile round trip to Scotland and before I got into the car I thought "Oh my dear God, please be gentle with me" the ride is hard and the roads are long and straight then twisty... after the 280 mile door to door trip I got out of the car and for once felt almost no discomfort in my lower back. The ride although harsh is not uncomfortable - the seat/suspension combination is very suitable for both motorway and lane driving.

The trip saw an average of 45mpg - which I am quite happy with. This car although very good is still under-rated. In some spirited driving the 320D BMW and 325i which was trying to follow me was absolutely blown away... he even thumbed up as I eventually let him past - I had another 170 miles to go!!!

I absolutely LOVE this car - one thing it does need is front and rear flaps, the dirt thrown up over the rear of the car is not good on the long journeys I have to do. As soon as the 10000 miles comes up (in 3 weeks) I will be having them fitted.

Regards

Steve

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Well i have had mine for exactly 12 months, racking up 34,000 miles and love every tiny inch of tarmac...........For those that say the rides to stiff, buy a Corsa for those that feel there aren't quick enough buy a Cupra. But remember the insurance group and tax band then suddenly it all makes sense IT ROCKS!!!!!!

Glad i have a fuel card! :D

Last edited:

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
All sounds good, I am 1 week away from owning my FR TDi, picking it up next Friday cant wait!!!!!!!! :):):)

shaunbuckaroo

MK2 leon tdi fr 170

only had my new motor MK2 leon tdi fr 170 for a week and think its great got rid of my 160 sr which i thought was a cany little car but drove the leon and noticed so much difference. ride, power and comfort was a massive difference. just looking for some mods to improve the power abit. its quick enough but you always want more ya no what i mean. reading all the write ups and threads on the website it looks like ive picked a good car. :D:funk:

redwell

no the interior is the only thing that lets the car down - some soft touch plastic and some door inserts and some nice chrome kickplates would help :)

LEE FR TDI

I've had my 08 Leon fr tdi for 2 weeks now i think it's awesome possibly 1 of the best car's ive owned. It's a bit thirsty at the moment but that's only down to the torque addiction. Not looking to make any mods yet, im a bit paranoid of voiding the warranty.

gbh

gbh
Apr 27, 2008
Sussex
2years and 18000mls with my FR TDI. No mechanical issues but ownership has been tainted by £5000 worth of hailstorm damage whilst on Holiday in Switzerland when 2 months old. Oh and a poorly painted /fitted front and rear bumper. Bodywork wise the car just will never seem the same again and has prompted me to look for another .....FR TDI! Like most of you guys every drive induces a grin from ear to ear!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.