Losing Tyre Pressure

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Dont worry, this isn't the usual "what pressure should my tyres be".

My front passenger side tyre looses it's pressure after about 10 days of topping it up back to 32psi.

It sounds like i have a slow puncture but i have spoken to someone in work who has the same size tyres/wheel combination as me on a passat and he has said his are exactly the same.

Does anyone else have this problem or do you think i should get it checked for punctures?

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
I was hoping it wasnt, dont want an apprentice throwing my alloy around in a garage!

The fella in work had VW look at his, they put it underwater and there were no bubbles, they said it was just because they were low profile and because the passenger side tyre goes up and down kerbs more often!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I had a similar problem when I first got my 19's and it turned out to be the metal valve inside the rubber part of the tyre valve (the bit that compresses in).

A tyre fitter got a metal tool and got that little metal prong and did it up clockwise, and problem seems to have been sorted ever since. Couldn't notice it at first as it wasn't audibly leaking.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
You run your 18" rims up and down kerbs?

Brave!!

I worry when mine go over a bad bit of road!

Only sometimes depending where is free to park by my house, but they're only about 30-40mm kerbs!

I've mastered the art of doing it without kerbing my alloys too (touch wood)

I had a similar problem when I first got my 19's and it turned out to be the metal valve inside the rubber part of the tyre valve (the bit that compresses in).

A tyre fitter got a metal tool and got that little metal prong and did it up clockwise, and problem seems to have been sorted ever since. Couldn't notice it at first as it wasn't audibly leaking.

I've had the wheel off when i've cleaned my car an i havent found any obvious punctures anywhere so it may be a problem with the valve?

Either way i'm going to have to take it somewhere as it's p*ssing me off topping it up all the time now!

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Run your hands along the inside of your tyre wall, it's not always the most obvious place to look.

I had a staple stuck in the side of mine which was causing my pressures to fall a couple of psi every few days. Pulled this out, and air started pissing out of it. Had to jack the car up and get the space saver on sharpish!

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Believe it or not Sean, my front passenger tyre is doing the same thing, SEAT says there are no punctures, and I have been advised it could be the valve, but funnily enough, now the temp is back above freezing, my tyre pressure warning light hasn't come on :S strange.

Danny.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Mine has done it for months, the same in this cold weather.

I topped it up before, it was down to 24psi, 13 days since i put it upto 32psi

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.