loud moaning

greganderson

Nov 16, 2009
Isle of man
hi everyone,

ever since i bought the leon, its been making a moaning sound, which my uncle (who i bought it off) told me it was just dirty rear brakes, however lately the noise has just gotten louder and more constant, it only really stops when i brake,

its gotten horrifically annoying and embarrasing as i drive down the street now :(

im not quite sure if this is the case though? :confused:

could anyone possibly tell me what it is? and if its and easy fix?

thanks in advance :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've got the exact same problem on my toledo. I've had the bearings checked (by me and a garage), new discs, pads and tyres. It's even been through an MOT, and the noise is still there.

I still reckon it is the wheel bearings as thats the only thing that could make that noise so consistently, so i'll probably just swap them out anyway. But I've had it for ten months now, so touch wood it will be fine for a while.

greganderson

Nov 16, 2009
Isle of man
dont wheel bearings make the car shake or something?
actually i was gettin a bit of a strange rumble when i got to about 55mph last night? hmm...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
dont wheel bearings make the car shake or something?
actually i was gettin a bit of a strange rumble when i got to about 55mph last night? hmm...

Only if they're really loose, and I'm talking 'wheel about to fall off' loose...

I have been told that VAG wheel bearings are so substantial now that the normal way of checking them (trying to move the wheel side to side) is redundant, and they can get noisy long before they start to affect the cars handling.

epts2008

rule the bends
Mar 19, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Alright mate my guess is wheel bearing aswell does it get louder if you steer for example if your turning left and it gets louder it's your right hand wheel bearing gone sometimes it's hard to tell this on the back but give it a try

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Alright mate my guess is wheel bearing aswell does it get louder if you steer for example if your turning left and it gets louder it's your right hand wheel bearing gone sometimes it's hard to tell this on the back but give it a try

The theory is spot on, but mine don't do this. I've loaded up the corners and there is no change in noise. I think you are right that it's more related to the front bearings rather than the rear.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
well just to throw you all off the ball , i would try tyres

i was there for months took it to loads of garages, mot all passed and said it must be me as the bearings are fine

my unle then closely inspected the tyres and was the rears slightly out of shape ,

i swapped front to back and the noise moved so it was the tyres - in my case anyways

and as for wife stopping moaning when braking its because shes bracing herself (shiting it ) lol

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Your hub could seize very shortly, happend a friend of mine, a rough grinding sound when driving...

It's happened to me on my old Cavalier, but that bearing went from 'perfectly fine' to 'wonky wheel' within about 200 yards of the M54! I limped home, and the bearing shell had welded itself to the stub axle. I had to have a new stub axle, new bearing (obviously!), and new disc hub. Not a cheap experience! It's what I expected from this noise, but I've driven it for ages now and it's not changed.

AndrewcupraTDI, it's funny you should mention tyres, because that's what the garage said mine was. Problem is, my tyres are the same brand and age front and back, and swapping them made no difference. In the next couple of weeks I'm actually going to get myself over to a mates and swap my wheels for his (same car). If the noise moves cars, then I have my cause.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members