Machine polishing

irmscher2007

Aug 15, 2007
Cheshire
Hello.

Got a black Leon which has some annoying swirls and stone chips on the bonnet and front bumper. The previous owner didnt wash it properly and the swirls are annoying on a sunny day so I'm going to either borrow or purchase a machine polisher, something like the meguairs ones for £100.

I'm aware of the products to use and will wash clay polish wax and seal it. I will most likelybe getting the poorboys medium swirl to get the swirls out as this seems to get good reviews.

My question is what will happen to the tiny stone chips on the bonnet and bumper?
Will it simply make them look a little better or do nothing at all? The front bumper
looks fairly untidy as it looks dull so I was hoping the machine polishing will bring
out a little more shine to it.

If it wont make any difference I may go down the respray route before I detail it.

Thanks for any advice / help.

I'll get some pictures up when its done! :)

Jim@WD

Machine polishing stone chips will have no effect at all.. If anything, you will be highlighting them against the highly polished black paint. I did a CLK 220 CDi sometime ago, and, he was gutted and stunned at the same time! (gutted the stone chips were more obvious, and, stunned and the condition of the paint)

Deleted member 20376

Machine polishing stone chips will have no effect at all.. If anything, you will be highlighting them against the highly polished black paint. I did a CLK 220 CDi sometime ago, and, he was gutted and stunned at the same time! (gutted the stone chips were more obvious, and, stunned and the condition of the paint)

what can you do with stone chips then?

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
what can you do with stone chips then?

Not alot if the paint had chipped away apart from touch them up or have the bumper resprayed

Be very careful if you are using a macine polished and you dont know what you are doing as the effects can be deadly on the paint if done wrong

irmscher2007

Aug 15, 2007
Cheshire
Yeah I've heard you need to know what your doing when machine polishing but I figure if I'm gentle methodical and patient it should be ok.

I just dont think a hand polish will achieve anything.

The chips on the bonnet arent that bad, seems to be the bumper thats looking tatty.
If the majority of cars looking tidy and shiny I'll probably be able to live with the bumper and bonnet having a few chips.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members