Mark's mk3 Ibiza, mk5 Ibiza mk2 Leon FR - NEW CUPRA 300 Ordered

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Lowering is definitely on the cards once I get the funds gathered.

The 1.6 TDI is a million miles away from the 1.4 petrol in the mk3, its got better torque so overtaking is not an issues at all, where as in the mk3 it required careful planning. It's not much noisier, as the 1.4 had a diesely sound to it anyway.

It does require a lot of gear changes to get the most from it, so in that respect it is a bit like the 1.4 and its actually easier to stall that the 1.4 which surprised me at first, but im used to it now.

My brother recently bought a 1.9 tdi mk3 Ibiza and it sounds like a tractor compared to the 1.6!

The best bit about the 1.6 is the mpg - the average currently says 55mpg but since the weather has got better i can easily get 60mpg on a trip so i expect the average will start to creep up.

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
Lol, the 1.4 does sound like a tractor.. And is preeeeetty slow. A mate of mine has a ZetecS 2002 plate, and that is unbeleivably quick compared to mine, he just charges ahead within seconds.. I dont know how you kept yours for so long.. Im looking at getting rid to be honest..

The Mk5 is amazing in everyway.. They look the dogs when lowered with FR bumpers on and either RS4 alloys in anthracite or Scoda Fabia vRS wheels on in black.. (The spider type ones..).. I saw a White FR at a meet near me and it stood out by a mile.. I would love one, but they are quite expensive, and so to is the insurance.. I would want a 1.2TSI though..

When does your warrenty end? Because I bet you are itching for a remap :) :)

I thought your brother was going to go for a 1.4 mk3? He loved yours didnt he :)

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
To be fair, i found the mk5 insurance to be really reasonable...even a cupra/FR was well under a grand for me and that was when i was 21.
I'd say the prices of regular mk5's will start tumbling soon, once they approach 3 years old etc..

my mk5 turned 1yo at the start of the month, ill be waving goodbye to it in 2 weeks time lol

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
To be fair, i found the mk5 insurance to be really reasonable...even a cupra/FR was well under a grand for me and that was when i was 21.
I'd say the prices of regular mk5's will start tumbling soon, once they approach 3 years old etc..

my mk5 turned 1yo at the start of the month, ill be waving goodbye to it in 2 weeks time lol

Why mate? What you going for?

jamoy

Jamie - Now With Boost
Why mate? What you going for?

Well, its all abit complicated but the mk5 is going to my sister and i'm having a mk4 Golf GTi which is litterally just collecting dust atm lol ;) My dad bought it new back in '00 so it ain't mint, needs a heck of a lot of attention to the paint and general tidying up. Also i think the rear bushes are shot..lol

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Lol, the 1.4 does sound like a tractor.. And is preeeeetty slow. A mate of mine has a ZetecS 2002 plate, and that is unbeleivably quick compared to mine, he just charges ahead within seconds.. I dont know how you kept yours for so long.. Im looking at getting rid to be honest..

The Mk5 is amazing in everyway.. They look the dogs when lowered with FR bumpers on and either RS4 alloys in anthracite or Scoda Fabia vRS wheels on in black.. (The spider type ones..).. I saw a White FR at a meet near me and it stood out by a mile.. I would love one, but they are quite expensive, and so to is the insurance.. I would want a 1.2TSI though..

When does your warrenty end? Because I bet you are itching for a remap :) :)

I thought your brother was going to go for a 1.4 mk3? He loved yours didnt he :)
Aye he always liked my Ibiza, but then he came across a 90hp TDI for just shy of a grand and snapped it up. He does quite a few miles and he knew from my experience that the 1.4 wasn't the most economical of cars.

2 years left on the warranty, it'll definitely be getting a remap then!

I'd love some anthracite FR alloys for my car, but can't afford them at the moment, so i'll have to make do with what I have.

Will be finishing uni soon, and hopefully I'll get a grad job that pays reasonably well and then I can start doing what I wan't to the car - or maybe start saving for a mk3 Leon, they'll be due out soon enough!

Last edited:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Future Plans!

The warmer weather has really kick started my interest in the car again, so the two major updates are Cupra headlights and the under seat storage boxes. Haven't ordered them yet with the dealers being closed over easter, but I'll get pics up as soon as they're done!

Also looking on ebay for a nice tail pipe end as I don't fancy getting a new exhaust, and getting it lowered it also on the list of things for Summer 2011!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Also gave the car some much needed TLC over the weekend.

It was covered it tar so I got that all off with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover - seems to be really good stuff.

And I gave it a coat of Meguires wax, no before pics but here's a few afters taken on the phone:
218303_10150231913776348_713916347_9098854_7352912_o.jpg

201345_10150231913611348_713916347_9098852_6977230_o.jpg

201701_10150231913421348_713916347_9098850_7881363_o.jpg

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
I agree!! The mk5 is definately the best ibiza in the range.. And if you can get hold of a 1.2TSi, the best non-sport car in the whole seat range.. Much better than the Mk2 Leons..

Looks immense mate.. That spoiler transforms the car!! But for pete's sake.. Get her dropped 45mm...

Your Boc is amazing JC!! I've never saw one in the flesh, but on pictures, they look amazing!

Mark.. Your house is bloody massive!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
I agree!! The mk5 is definately the best ibiza in the range.. And if you can get hold of a 1.2TSi, the best non-sport car in the whole seat range.. Much better than the Mk2 Leons..

Looks immense mate.. That spoiler transforms the car!! But for pete's sake.. Get her dropped 45mm...

Your Boc is amazing JC!! I've never saw one in the flesh, but on pictures, they look amazing!

Mark.. Your house is bloody massive!

I know... it needs dropped so badly. Definitely want to get it done asap, need to start saving like mad. Finish uni in a few months, so I just need to find a job and then it'll be full steam ahead! :)

Will be picking up my Cupra headlights tomorrow, hoping to get them fitted sometime this week.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Yep they're plug and play as long as the car has twin beam headlights to begin with. Dunno if it's plug and play on the base models.

No DRLs on the Cupra lights, unless you get Xenons but they wouldn't be plug and play and cost stupid money.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Yep they're plug and play as long as the car has twin beam headlights to begin with. Dunno if it's plug and play on the base models.

They are still plug and play, but the dipped beam turns off when high beam is turned on full... if that makes sense. Found out at my MOT that my car has been converted one to the other :whistle:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Cupra Headlights Fitted :)

Well spent the afternoon with the car in pieces, but it was all worth it. I'll let the pictures do the talking!

A quick before shot:
IMAG0204.jpg

Bumper off:
IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

One light out:
IMAG0207.jpg

Spot the difference?
IMAG0208.jpg

Job Done :D
IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

I think they've made a huge difference to the front end, thinking about doing the chrome surround on the grille black as well. Will have to see if someone could photoshop it for me!