Mis-shifted my Leon. Rebuilt the engine but worried about destroying the engine again…

Jul 31, 2021
So, after going into 2nd gear instead of 4th gear when attempting to upshift from 3rd at red-line, I completely destroyed my engine.

I’ve now replaced the engine and will be driving within a few days - but i’m really paranoid about doing the same thing again.

i’ve always driven my cars hard, and I shift quite fast. Never caused problems in a car before, but for some reason the gear changes feel a bit TOO smooth in my leon. I literally couldn’t even tell the difference between 4th and 2nd when I misshifted in the first place. The only indication was the engine revving its tits off once I began to engage the clutch.

I had a MK6 Fiesta before, and I ALWAYS could tell what gear I was going into. It was a bit notchy but it had very positive engagement. I love the way the Leon drives, but the shifter is a massive issue for me.

Besides not driving like a lunatic, is there anything I can do to give me my confidence back when banging through the gears? I’ve thought about installing a short shifter, but I’m slightly worried that having the gears closer to each other will only make this issue worse. On the flip side though, maybe if more force is required to go into each gear, it will be a lot easier to feel a mis-shift before I engage the clutch.

Any modifications that a r3tard like me can do to stop myself completely destroying the engine again? Thanks.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
It's called a Money Shift and loads of people have done it on track, don't beat yourself up.

To help prevent it again:

New shifter cables and bushes - really tightens things up and helps find the right spot
New engine and gearbox mounts - Get some VibraTechnics ones, stop the thing flapping all over the place when you're trying to bang gears.

Reactions: mty12345
Jul 31, 2021
It's called a Money Shift and loads of people have done it on track, don't beat yourself up.

To help prevent it again:

New shifter cables and bushes - really tightens things up and helps find the right spot
New engine and gearbox mounts - Get some VibraTechnics ones, stop the thing flapping all over the place when you're trying to bang gears.
Yeha I'm definitely going to be upgrading the shift components. It's a used car, so could have been the last owners, but I've seen online that the gearboxes on these VW/Audi engines are common for being kind of 'sloppy'. Will the shifter cables and bushing help solve this? Anything else I could do too? Like a stiffer return spring for example?

Got into a Focus ST (Mk2) the other day, and the shifter was solid af. Felt really good. I couldn't hit 2nd from 3rd when pulling straight back even if I tried. Got into my Leon straight after and I could do it straight away...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.