MK2 Leon FR TDI PD170 Problem

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Leon FR TDI PD170 Engine , Only mod is a K&N Filter

On me way to work tonight i was Approaching a roundabout , Slotted down into 3rd for it and entered the roundabout

Was about halfway round when all of a sudden for around 0.5-1 second the car felt like the engine had stopped , I can only describe the feeling as when you hit a large puddle the car stops and then carries on

So i thought that was strange , Anyway carried on to the next roundabout , and the same happend again :confused:

Got to work , No Warning lights or anything , But when i pulled up i noticed the car was stuck at 1,000rpm and then it dropped to the normal rpm, Blipped the throtle and once again it got stuck at 1,000rpm

I had a similar problem with my Ibiza sticking at 1,000rpm but it never made the engine hesitate like that

Anyone had this before? I havent got access to Can-Bus Vag-Com so i carnt check anything

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
Leon FR TDI PD170 Engine , Only mod is a K&N Filter

On me way to work tonight i was Approaching a roundabout , Slotted down into 3rd for it and entered the roundabout

Was about halfway round when all of a sudden for around 0.5-1 second the car felt like the engine had stopped , I can only describe the feeling as when you hit a large puddle the car stops and then carries on

So i thought that was strange , Anyway carried on to the next roundabout , and the same happend again :confused:

Got to work , No Warning lights or anything , But when i pulled up i noticed the car was stuck at 1,000rpm and then it dropped to the normal rpm, Blipped the throtle and once again it got stuck at 1,000rpm

I had a similar problem with my Ibiza sticking at 1,000rpm but it never made the engine hesitate like that

Anyone had this before? I havent got access to Can-Bus Vag-Com so i carnt check anything

I think, although please correct me if i am wrong, that you are experiencing the DPF filter burning off the soot. Also know as regeneration.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So when its idling at 1,000rpm is that the Regeneration happening?

Would that also explain the sudden power loss?

I had a feeling this damn DPF was behind it

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeah, it's burning a bit more fuel to burn the soot off

You do feel a judder when it kicks in

Haha cool must be my first Regen since having the car , My MPG is Shocking at moment tho making these short 6 mile drives to work with lots of roundabouts

Would of been nice for Seat to put a little "Regen warning" light on dash that flashes when its happening

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeah, DPF issues mate. 1,000 rpm is it regening and mine also jerks when they ecu tells it to turn on and off, always done it mate

Danny

Although its gonna be annoying im feeling better now ,Was dreading it not starting or something

My Ibiza carnt of been DPF related as it didnt have one so fck knows what that was

More of an excuse to get DPF Removed i feel , More power and Better MPG :D

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
how are you finding the leon in general compared to the ibiza? reason i ask im may be putting a deposit down on one tomorrow.

Alot better , The only reason i got rid of the ibiza is because i wanted more power , Could of got maybe 10-15bhp more out of the 1.4TDI , I didnt want to sell it for another ibiza as it would feel the same

So fancied a change , The FR rides quite hard but my ibiza was harder so doesnt bother me and obviously the 170bhp feels alot better than the 80-100bhp of me ibiza

I say go for it :p

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Alot better , The only reason i got rid of the ibiza is because i wanted more power , Could of got maybe 10-15bhp more out of the 1.4TDI , I didnt want to sell it for another ibiza as it would feel the same

So fancied a change , The FR rides quite hard but my ibiza was harder so doesnt bother me and obviously the 170bhp feels alot better than the 80-100bhp of me ibiza

I say go for it :p

how are you finding the MPG? and any idea on what the service costs are? the car im looking at has 16500miles on the clock so id imagine its due a service at 20k

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
how are you finding the MPG? and any idea on what the service costs are? the car im looking at has 16500miles on the clock so id imagine its due a service at 20k

I average around 38-42mpg but then I don't drive normal :) I have driven my car like a granny to see what I can get out of it, once the car has warmed up on at full operating temp, even driving it hard, you'll still find you will be over 30mpg :)
I find SEAT charge abit for services, for my 20,000 mile service, they wanted £320 and that didn't include the recommended brake fluid change either. So I got it serviced at my local VW garage, didn't have the brakes done but they do include a full valet which SEAT have NEVER done for me all for just under 200 notes :)

Danny.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Im getting 32.1MPG Average at the moment but...........

Thats a 6 mile drive to work and 6 mile back down the A509 in MK , The A509 has got about 15 roundabouts on it so not hopeng for great MPG

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
If I was you I would take it for a cruise up the motorway when you get a chance, keep it at 2k revs for 10 mins and that will help regen the DPF.

2 1/2 Hours of M1>A50 Tommorow morning on the way to Home :p so it will get a good ride tommorow

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise