Aug 13, 2006
West Sussex
Hiya

Just wondering whats your MPG like ?

I drive a 2.0 Cupra Gti 8v

Just been up to Birmingham and back today for the Motorbike show,
and done a round trip of 360 Miles.

I filled up on the way home and had about a quarter of a tank left,
had done about 320 Miles at that point and i put £34 in the tank.

I think thats really good. Certainly better than anything else ive driven with a large engine.

Think i averaged about 38 Mpg up and 44 Home,
I did have the GF in the car so was a bit like Driving Ms Daisy (;) )

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
normal driving im lucky to exceed 33ish on the guage, motorway is usally 38-40 but ive had it at 42.8 tryin my best :)..

does anyone know how accurate the on board computers are? mpg temp ect?

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Sounds about right - I work on 400 out of a tank on the motorway, 330 in normal driving, and 150 when on the track :eek:)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Does anyone know how much petrol is still left in the car once the light comes on?? The highest I have ever had was 38mpg (steady traffic at going about 40mph in 5th gear). Per full tank I average about 31mpg. Even on the motorway I dont see past 31.5mpg:cry: . Thats because I didnt buy a 16v GTI to drive in it like Daisy. So from full up, till the light comes on I get about 220miles. And all this is using V-power as well:-o !!!!!!

But than again I didnt buy a GTI in order to save on fuel;)

Mig

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Does anyone know how much petrol is still left in the car once the light comes on??

7 litres is left in the tank when the light comes on.

I know how you feel with the 16v's drinking problem its scary going from a 1.4 to it. Most i've ever had to a tank so far is 260miles. Not had a long enough journey to really test a full tank on yet.

Again with V-Power

bezza

Oct 23, 2006
Got a mk2 1.4 8v

due to me being a bum student, i only ever stick a tenner in the tank at a time lol...

gets me around 90ish mile on a good day. reckon thats good or bad? :)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Got a mk2 1.4 8v

due to me being a bum student, i only ever stick a tenner in the tank at a time lol...

90miles for a tenner is pretty good. I used to get just under 80 miles with my ten pounds in the old 1.4 :)

Mig

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Got a mk2 1.4 8v

when i was a student bum i used to get 100miles to a tenner, that was in the days of cheaper petrol though. You must drive like a saint!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
my 1.1saxo averaged 120 per tenna back in the days of 78p fuel! its record was 150 mile on just under £11.. motorway driving obviously :) unfortunalty it was pissssssss takingly slowwwww

Mckellar

tbh i dont find my 1.4 exactly economic.
i dont drive it like a barry boy red lining it all over the place to make it look as tho im driving a GTI or anything either.

think i can blame the possible hole in my exhaust too tho.
280 miles i got to £32
an best ever was 148 miles to £10 :clap: driving like an 80 yr old in a micra

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Is there something wrong with my car then? I only seem to average 31-32mpg and thats doing 70 on the motorway!! I only get about 260ish miles out of a tank. Ive got a 2l 8valve cupra 1999. Is there something i should check? The highest i ever averaged was 38mpg and that was on a country road doing 60mph in 5th. Any help guys?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
At 70mph i would be expecting more around the 35 - 28 mark as thats what i get in my 16v, remember though that the trip computer in the mk2 only goes on journey average so if you do a lot of slow crawling before the motorway this will effect it. Also the quality of fuel you use is a BIG factor, when i give my car tesco unleaded i am lucky to see 30mpg normal driving, however on shell/esso unleaded i see around 35mpg normal driving.

Things in my experience that cause poor fuel economy are:
1. Dirty throttle body, had this on my 8v lost about 5mpg average
2. Faulty MAF sensor
3. Not properly serviced, as plugs, filters, etc get older they loose efficiency

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
At 70mph i would be expecting more around the 35 - 28 mark as thats what i get in my 16v, remember though that the trip computer in the mk2 only goes on journey average so if you do a lot of slow crawling before the motorway this will effect it. Also the quality of fuel you use is a BIG factor, when i give my car tesco unleaded i am lucky to see 30mpg normal driving, however on shell/esso unleaded i see around 35mpg normal driving.

Things in my experience that cause poor fuel economy are:
1. Dirty throttle body, had this on my 8v lost about 5mpg average
2. Faulty MAF sensor
3. Not properly serviced, as plugs, filters, etc get older they loose efficiency

How would i diagnose a faulty MAF sensor? Would it come up on a VAG com?
Ive recently (afew months ago) serviced the car and cleaned the throttle body out. Would the fuel filter itself make a difference? This was the only thing which i did not manage to change at the time. (Hasn't been changed for about 18 months now)!
Cheers

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i top up with around 20 quids worth a time at about 84p a litre, i get around 200miles out of it which is pretty good and i don't drive like a pansy either

then again i trying to drive fairly economically currently so try and save on fuel, but then i tend to give up a couple of times and give it some go