My Formentor has got new 2023 lane change assist feature!

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Hi folks, my 2023 Formentor is equipped with a new gorgeous feature which is lane change assist system (I’m running software 1900.). I have been testing that a lot today during a long trip and I must say that I’m very satisfied with it. Some other comments were describing that as very slow and useless, nothing is less true than that. The system works flawlessly with two or three lanes in the majority of situations.
If anybody is interested, I can share some thoughts regarding. Spoiler: it works beautifully, but it can be extremely dangerous if not used in the proper way.

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
This feature helps you change lane automatically. It’s the one with the two little arrows

image0.jpeg

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I had my car in February and on 1940 and have the lane change assist but find it aborts most of the time as the nag on holding steering wheel is too often..

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Your car will be too old for it to have left the factory enabled, however it can be enabled assuming you have the hardware fitted :)
I have ODBeleven and I should have all the hardware fitted. Interesting, I shall need to quiz their support about which modules to code.

Edit: Reading around the Golf 8 section; lane change assist was probably introduced on MY2022 vehicles. It requires: Side Assist, Park Pilot, Travel Assist.

It's something that could be enabled on my 2021 Formentor but realistically the coding is a very small part of larger holistic package including having correct module firmware and correct "dataset" which are not disclosed to the public. Technically I need assistant camera version "D" and firmware no lower than 3403 + a new set of data.

Yeah... I'm happy to take the £390 saving per year not having to tax a 2022 VZ2. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsForment

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Infotainment software has no relevance to autonomous lane change assist. However it's a nice feature!
I know your company is an absolute expert in this field, so please let me know if it’s true that the new lane change assist is brought by a new hardware set for the 2023 Cupra models. As stated by the German channel “motoreport”, the new hardware set offers new back radars and a more refined front camera.
Do you agree?

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Infotainment software has no relevance to autonomous lane change assist. However it's a nice feature!
I agree that new lane change assist is a real beauty and it gets our cars much closer to the assist level 2+.
Nevertheless, there is a problem in the everyday use of this feature. As I stated in my first post, there is a hidden danger in the procedure, this is what I mean.

When the procedure starts and let’s say we are in the middle of the two lanes over the markings, if for some reasons either we leave the grip on the wheel or the travel assist doesn’t recognise the markings anymore here you are what happens: the software doesn’t finish its job bringing the car to the next lane, but it abruptly terminates, leaving the steering wheel uncontrolled . The very first time it happened to me to have the cars heading off road without control because I left the wheel…
I would rather prefer the software to finish its job somehow without leaving the driver to its destiny.
What is your opinion regarding?

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Things I like in this new lane change assist

First of all the software is not peaky at all and lets you change lane even if you are very close to next car in your lane and it works even with great speed difference between the two cars.
Lane change procedure is fast enough, and it’s accepted even in bends. So far I just succeeded with three lanes motorways, but I have to try harder on two lanes.
On the other hand, the software is very demanding when it’s time to get back to your previous lane. In fact, the car that we have overtaken must be well far away before the system accepts to bring you back in the original lane. That is a little bit of a limit. The graphic on the dashboard is perfect and allows you to understand whether the software is going to accept your command or not. In fact the lane you want to get in is coloured in grey if available or blackened if not available for any reasons, like for example a fast approaching car overtaking.

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5002.jpeg
    IMG_5002.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 272

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Unfortunately our lane change assist doesn’t accept multiple lane jumps, because the travel assist needs time to recognise the markings of the new lane before it’s possible to make another jump.
But last but not least, the new XL package brings you another feature. Now the Lane assist even accepts fine tuning of the position of your car in the lane. That means that you can force without any effort the system to stay very close to the markings on the left, on the right or in the centre: all you have to do is to force the car for a few seconds in the relative position you like more that’s it very handy.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Unfortunately our lane change assist doesn’t accept multiple lane jumps, because the travel assist needs time to recognise the markings of the new lane before it’s possible to make another jump.
But last but not least, the new XL package brings you another feature. Now the Lane assist even accepts fine tuning of the position of your car in the lane. That means that you can force without any effort the system to stay very close to the markings on the left, on the right or in the centre: all you have to do is to force the car for a few seconds in the relative position you like more that’s it very handy.
Glad I have none of this crap on my Leon, as I like driving my car myself, much more enjoyable and safer.

ababic64

Dec 12, 2022
That is possible to code when your camera have at least Software version 3400 oftewel 5WA980653D and you need park assist ( 12 sensors)
Could you share more details? I have all 3 requirements fulfilled.

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023

That is possible to code when your camera have at least Software version 3400 oftewel 5WA980653D and you need park assist ( 12 sensors)
I think Antera is right. Software release does count but improved camera and updated back radar are essential. More, Hardware h58 is not enough. Right now the best sources for info are Motoreport tests.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.