My Leon's leaking - can you save me £350?

matt989

I hope im not intruding here (id rather ask here than open a new thread) but I have a similar problem but the wet patch is only on the nearside rear footwell in the center.

I cant see how a leaky door would cause dampness hear but no-where else...

any ideas?

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I hope im not intruding here (id rather ask here than open a new thread) but I have a similar problem but the wet patch is only on the nearside rear footwell in the center.

I cant see how a leaky door would cause dampness hear but no-where else...

any ideas?

The water can travel a long way under the carpets from its point of entry until it gravitates to the lowest spot and soaks the soundproofing felt and carpet. The felt can hold a lot of water without you realising.

You could try opening the suspect door, thoroughly drying the metal below the trim card and then using a watering can or hose to run plenty of water along the bottom of the glass on the outside. Then look out for water seeping out from under the door card. It will keep the neighbours entertained if nothing else.:)

Pete79

Hi again - thanks all for the advice - unfortunately I don't have a garage or a drive - so it's all street work for me!

Ol'Timer - Do you mean pouring water onto the rear passenger door window to see if water is getting in at the bottom of the glass there - and then seeping down inside the door?

And sorry to keep going over old ground - but how likely is it to be the Pollen Filter, given that the front footwells are dry? - it's only the back ones that are wet....

It rained again last night, joys!! My seats are currently in the boot as I have the carpet pulled up to do my daily mopping!

I'm no mechanic, so seriously getting worried about it now - skint too!

But I still LOVE my car!! :)

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Ol'Timer - Do you mean pouring water onto the rear passenger door window to see if water is getting in at the bottom of the glass there - and then seeping down inside the door?

And sorry to keep going over old ground - but how likely is it to be the Pollen Filter, given that the front footwells are dry? - it's only the back ones that are wet.... :)

If you open the door and dry under the door card, then pour water along the bottom of the glass, some of it will run down into the door cavity (perfectly normal.) If all is well it will run out of the drain holes at the bottom of the door.

It is possible for the drain holes to become clogged with wax so it is worth checking they are clear. If the seal between the ancillary carrier and the door has broken down you may see water seeping out frum under the door card and it will be worth a closer inspection.

If the pollen filter shield is not fitted correctly water will drip down from under the dashboard on the passenger side and be quite obvious. This happened to me when I had a new windscreen fitted.

Out of interest as you've got the seats and carpets up at the moment can you see if the centre of the rear footwell is the lowest part of the floor as this is where the water will settle.

On my Leon all the doors leaked, the bulkhead leaked through a badly sealed seam and the pollen filter leaked. I didn't realise anything was wrong until a terrible smell appeared.:(

Last edited:

Psymonkee

If it makes you feel any better my cars back to being pissing wet in both fronts :/

Fan heater all afternoon but had to stop for now. Hope it's not another leak.....

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
late post but the first you should try and get hold of is a vax machine!
so you can suck the water out then the heater method will work a lot quicker,
also if you pull the outer trim you'll gain acces to the carpet lift up and you'll see the insulation which can also be lifted if need be[ all this much easier in the fron footwells]

supracupra01

point! squirt! hold on!
it's just one big merry-go-round with this problem! don't you think we all get blasé with this little issue of the "wet from above" how easy we forget the rain untill it returns, then low and behold. indoor swimming pools. bugger
still love my leon though:p:p:p:p

phil739

Mar 5, 2007
leicester
i have alot of water after raining left on the sills on dripping of the bottom of the doors when i open them ...

does this mean i need to reseal my doors

carpets are not wet