New Cupra shows 264 BHP

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I'd like to see a car mapped and RR'd on stars rollers run somewhere else to see what it pulls.

And LEO LION R, it does matter, people are spending a lot of money on these cars and want to know what theyre getting.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
That will be like crail's 1/4 mile strip aswell rob;)

Sorry but ive seen quite a few fwd vag cars coming off of stars rolling road with 55-60bhp losses. 35-40bhp down this neck of the woods;)

Bump up the transmission loss to satisfy customer:blink:

Anything over 35-40bhp loss, i would personally take with a pinch of salt tbh.

of course if his figures are around the 225whp mark then that is an excellent result and obviously shows SEAT are under quoting:(

i have seen quite a few cars going on the road @ star, last being a group of guys from the west who had various manufacturers audi, toyota, vaux, subaru, none came out as wow figures all were round about what the owners thought.personaly my own mk4 golf 180 standard showed 181bhp, mapped it, then back on the road it came out @ 197.then various things were added to it but at no stage did i see over stated runs.I was present when DJ horace's seat 1.8t 180 was also put on STARS R/R too, Jim did say this was high and reckoned on discounting to round about -6 to 10bhp, taking into account the temperatures on the day, i can be corrected on that.
but there are the sceptics amongst you, for some reason?but look at the audi driver awards star have recieved and the number of people who travel far and wide to use them. myself being one of them.I cant say that about the others out there?????
as for Crail its all a bit of fun, measuring things to a nano second WTF. life get a.Its a bumpy exposed old airfield of the firth of forth.santa pod it aint, as the saying go's you can only pash with the **** youve got!.and iam happy with mine:happy:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Barry's K03S Ibiza made 237bhp on Star's dyno, he went to Wallace Performance a week later up in Aberdeen and it made 235bhp ... On a dyno day a Jabba Sport mapped LCR came up and made 268bhp, exactly what the owner expected it would make ... and MANY more cars have made correct numbers ... proof enough I think. Why do certain people refuse to accept that Star have accurate rollers yet say nothing about other 'dubious' dynos in the UK - very weird, is it a "we hate Scotland" thing??? Star won the Audi Driver magazine gold award for the best tuner in the UK, what else can be done to convince people? I know that people come from all over the UK to Star for work to be done, bypassing other tuners on the way up, yet Jim doesn't bother shouting about it because he knows all the haters out there will just rubbish his comments for no valid reason.

I've NEVER seen any car make bizzarely high numbers on Star's dyno in 3 years, the same CANNOT be said of other dyno's I won't mention.

Last edited:

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Why do certain people refuse to accept that Star have accurate rollers yet say nothing about other 'dubious' dynos in the UK - very weird, is it a "we hate Scotland" thing???

I've NEVER seen any car make bizzarely high numbers on Star's dyno in 3 years, the same CANNOT be said of other dyno's I won't mention.

Okay 1st off, dont make this a scottish thing;) I myself am born and bred north of the border, not too far actually from star performance:)

Yes star performance will get a lot of work and reputation as Scotland is a big country in size and he has no real other VAG competition meaning people will travel hundreds of miles to him as there are no others to go to.
Not the same south of the border, we are spoilt with choice down this neck of the woods for VAG tuning companies:)

I dont know how we're managing to argue on a subject about flywheel dyno figures:lol: Come on:doh:

A good dyno will quote bhp and flywheel figures and if the difference is around the 15% mark then yes results can probably be relied upon as ''accurate''

Is this LC showing around 225bhp @ wheels? If so then very good:clap: If not and only showing around 200whp then:doh:

When people quote bhp numbers, i personally would like to see evidence of wheel figures also otherwise it doesn't mean nothing. There are many and by no means am i saying star is 1 of them that bump up transmission loss to keep customer happy and satisfied. It does happen:(

The link i posted to you Rob wasn't a good advertisement, DJ horaces 250bhp ish figure i think not, the golf with 260bhp with just simple mods:shrug:

Star are no doubt very good at what they do, your own car is evidence of that, but it doesn't mean that their dyno is any more accurate than others.

Awesome do give a good indication of wheel powers but i agree with you 5bhp losses are laughable:lol: There are still many more like JBS/Jabba/Stealth etc that give ''accurate'' figures.

johnsfb

Hi Mitchy,
Just for you, the power at the wheels is 217 but for me that's not the issue. What I'm after is to feel the difference between standard and re-map.
I'd like an extra 40 or more BHP and whether that was added to 237 or 264 really is secondary for me.
Jim says he'll phone when the new prog is ready and he'll stay late one evening next week so that I can get over there and get it done.
Like I said, I'll post up the result.

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
I've heard a few people claim Stars dyno is out however I have seen a 1.8T Ibiza Cupra run bang on the button 156bhp and 225 TT run 224bhp on the rollers and several 180 Leons run within 2 or 3bhp some even under 180bhp.

My Mk5 GTi ran 225bhp on Stars rollers (44bhp transmission loss) a few months latter I was at Dastek who slagged Star off saying there no way my car would run that standard they put it on there rollers and it ran 227bhp !!!! Admittedly the car had a few k more miles on it by then but the look on the guys face was priceless !

I know a friends remapped 180 Leon ran 213bhp on Stars rollers and 212bhp on Dasteks.

It is however as bager 5 says a dyno lottery and there best used for a comparison on the day between cars.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
No way was that new Leon Cupra I just drove anything above 237hp! My car felt like a rocket after driving the cupra. Granted it only had 32miles on the clock and didnt get to boot it.. but still..

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Your mapped k03x based TFSi will have a mountain of torque compared to the Cupra

If you didn't get to boot the Cupra, then your comments are invalid - it's got a much lower bottom end torque (to save torque steer & wheelspin) and really wants to be revved (like comes alive at 5500-7k)

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Your mapped k03x based TFSi will have a mountain of torque compared to the Cupra

If you didn't get to boot the Cupra, then your comments are invalid - it's got a much lower bottom end torque (to save torque steer & wheelspin) and really wants to be revved (like comes alive at 5500-7k)

Yes im sure that explains why it felt so different! :)

Paul357

Think paul357 might have meant the Golf MK5 GTI Edition 30 in which case he is right... just forget the 30 bit :p

Impressive figure, but its not all about power :D

Well, sorta!

Thanks mate!! I wasn't aware of any EDITION other than EDITION 30.

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
I'd like to see a car mapped and RR'd on stars rollers run somewhere else to see what it pulls.

And LEO LION R, it does matter, people are spending a lot of money on these cars and want to know what theyre getting.

It's been done time and time before, Stars RR have been criticised / compared / condemed by so many people who have never even been to try them. It's a great setup and about as good as you can get without doing the test on roads.

Basically what i was wasying was, if you try it before you buy it and are happy, then spend the large sum of money and be happy - stop worrying over numbers that will change on a daily basis depending on the weather.

If you like it / buy it, if not but something else.

Happy days

RobDon

Pro Detailer
"My Mk5 GTi ran 225bhp on Stars rollers (44bhp transmission loss) a few months latter I was at Dastek who slagged Star off saying there no way my car would run that standard they put it on there rollers and it ran 227bhp !!!! Admittedly the car had a few k more miles on it by then but the look on the guys face was priceless !

I know a friends remapped 180 Leon ran 213bhp on Stars rollers and 212bhp on Dasteks.
"

Yet more proof if any more was needed.

A dyno is a tuners tool for tuning cars and diagnosing problems, it's how your car performs on the road that counts, not in an artificial environment. FIN. :)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Well at least star quote whp figures Rob, a lot of companies only 'measure' bhp figures. its always good to know whats going down to the tarmac.

A lot of info will come out about these cars and their turbos very soon.

The LC should have a huge bang for buck if it remaps to the same levels as S3.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Yes im sure that explains why it felt so different! :)

Go on Dan go out and test the Cupra properly I'm intersted to see how the Sport / FR compares to the Cupra when tuned although I'm sure the Cupra will have the stronger top end due to the bigger turbo. This is where I think the standard FR / Sport is weak (from 5.5k revs onwards.)

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
By the time a few have been mapped and exhausts/race cats become available I would recon that a remapped Cupra with a full exhaust and induction kit should hit around 330bhp/330lbft with no tail off until the limiter, as they are getting around 310bhp with no more than a remap. 330bhp would be nice not far off a big turbo'd 1.8T and it will have a lot less lag all for under 2k. I would imagine that in a S3 would be perfect with 4WD, into Evo territory in a straight line at least.

A lot of reviews have commented on how hard the engine pulls high up the revs where the ko3 turbo based one as Rob GTI says tails off after 5.5k

Last edited:

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
I am looking at 330hp with exhaust and induction kit as my final numbers. Even stock the car pulls nicely to the redline without falling off.

After driving the car stock for these two weeks I am ready for a remap. The car is fast as is but it cries out for the remap.....

Those who have had the remap on the Cupra what is the difference between stock and remap in seat-of-the-pants feel?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I'm pretty sure the Cupra and S3 engines are much of the same.

However, why they have chosen to run different compression ratios I don't understand, when all else seems equal.

With the bigger turbo, enlarged injectors, heat treated alloy head, longer cam duration, hardened pistons, modified intercooler etc... they are still only running 1.2 bar on the S3 as standard which seems low for all the mods. Whether this is driven by Euro regs and getting the car under the magic 225g/km I am none the wiser! Doesn't the Leon Cupra run less boost that the S3 as standard?

All the stage 1 mapped S3's are putting out 306-309bhp with a fairly conservative map, and with stage 3 supposedly 330bhp is very achievable (downpipe, race cats, exhaust etc...).

Its all good sport, cn't be getting angsty about it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members