New facelifted leon , my first thoughts

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Ok well its not my car , dropped mine off for a service today and warranty work for a couple of days , and was handed keys to brand new 1.9 diesel face lifted car.

so its not the same model as mine but thought i would post a few findings of the interior.

The new radio looks smart in gloss black , but feels and looks out of place against the silvery blue dash surround , same goes for the climate control , would look very good in the right place but unfortunatley is out of place here.

Steering wheel , nice feel , but the buttons have swapped 180 degrees , now the volume is on the left side , if you have come from a SEAT that has the old mfsw then you are going to struggle , i kept swapping radio stations instead of the volume , also the controls are in a square pattern not spread out like my model and hard to locate and use with your eyes gled to the road.

The door pulls on the front doors have had these body coloured painted and look tacky and very cheap , at least when they were black they didnt really stand out that much.

Now the marmite bit , i know people have been saying about the aux and usb ports that have been fitted are an afterthought and i would agree , reason why is where they are located in the front pocket , i actually use mine for things like sunglasses and sweets ect , but once you start using this one the ports get covered up and you cant actually see them.

One plus is the new mfd on the dash , the white is actually quite pleasing on the eye and suits the back lit dials , it looks like it has a few more functions than standard , but i havent played around with them.
There is also a new lights on switch that is a nice improvement over the round knob and is more in line with the current vag range.

I cant comment on the ride or engine cause my Cupra is a different car but the tdi engine was quiet and smooth and the ride was smooth and ok.

Conclusion , is the interior better? well NO , it doesnt make a new car or a premium over a pre 09 car , i suppose with different models things interior and ride will be different but based on the car i have drivers of older models have nothing to be jelous of the new interior is not superior at all.
This is my personal opinion and thought i would post to put curent leon owners minds at rest.
Rob.

just an update ,
the mirrors are a big improvement in size , making other things more visanle , but down side is they are now like van mirrors and driving a deisel does nothing to shake off that image.

The climate control at night is pretty pants , you really have to look at it to check what temperature you are set at , also the fan speed is done by red led's that dont really mean much , they are just red blobs , if there was different colours it would have been much better and clearer.

just one more thing for those of you like me and steer one handed (right hand) while parking you will knock the radio source button constantly on your steering wheel and end up on AM :-(
and the new light switch feels tacky and hollow and cheap now i have used it at night.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Nice write up.. Mines due in for another service soon so wonder if I'll get a new one to play with too! :)

Been looking through a few of the pictures, not really a fan of the exterior but the new white MFD does look quite cool! :)

noktoto

Mar 10, 2008
Poland
The new radio looks smart in gloss black , but feels and looks out of place against the silvery blue dash surround , same goes for the climate control , would look very good in the right place but unfortunatley is out of place here.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw pictures of facelifted Leon's interior.

The only things I'm jealous about in new FR are CR diesel engine, XDS and bit softer, bit lower suspension.

UltraViolet

I test drove a pre-facelift FR TDi and a post-facelift.

The new one (IMO) felt a lot better screwed together. The seats were very good in both. I preferred the steering wheel in the new. Best of all - the engine and gearing is better in the new. The old FR 170 is quick for a diesel, but the new one surprised me. Bearing in mind it has a lot less power than my petrol car, I was still surprised when I put my foot down hard in second gear - I actually backed off!!

Personal opinion only, but I much prefer the new bumpers too and the fact that the grill matches the lower vent rather than having diamond hatch in one and stripes in the other.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.