New to this detailing lark - Basic help needed!

tsp

Hello all!

I'm thinking about getting into this detailing lark, it looks like something I could get into and really appreciate.

I've rear guides and peoples experiences and to be honest I find it a bit daunting!

Is there anywhere on here I can find a beginers guide and also a list of proven products?

I notice Meguirs is very popular, I've been considering kitting myself out with Meguirs for a while now.

Help me please!

Thanks,
Tom:funk:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Thanks mate, it looks pretty daunting!

Practice is all it takes - you either enjoy it or you don't and if you do ... then the time spent practicing is enjoyable :) It's one of those things that i really enjoy - what might seem like OCD to some is 10 hours well spent to me, both in terms of enjoying the process and seeing the end result.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Nope - i prefer Menzerna polish and whatever wax i have lying around - got some Nattys paste wax that smells like bounty bars haha - machine polishing is different to doing it by hand, it's not less work but you get a better chance of removing the swirls and marks in the paint :)

tsp

Lovely, thanks mate.

I'm going to go for a trip to Halfrauds tonight. Just to get an idea on what bits to get.

I like the look of the Megs. 3 step. I've read some good reveiws on it, some people don't rave about the stage 3 though. Maybe I could use something else instead?

Oh and should I combine this with a clay bar too?

Then I've got to work on the applicators! I don't trust myself with a machine, I was thinking along the lines of a wash mit and then some sort of polishing cloth.

Thanks mate, you've been a great help.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Lovely, thanks mate.

I'm going to go for a trip to Halfrauds tonight. Just to get an idea on what bits to get.

I like the look of the Megs. 3 step. I've read some good reveiws on it, some people don't rave about the stage 3 though. Maybe I could use something else instead?

Oh and should I combine this with a clay bar too?

Then I've got to work on the applicators! I don't trust myself with a machine, I was thinking along the lines of a wash mit and then some sort of polishing cloth.

Thanks mate, you've been a great help.

Wash mitt, two buckets ....a clay bar, some quick detailer and some microfibre cloths .... chuck out the sponge and the faithful washleather and you'll be good to get started :)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Just had a look at that polishedbliss website and there is loads of useful info on there. I have a question though, I fancy getting a pressure washer for doing my car but I'm not too sure what sort of pressure I should be looking at, most places seem to think something which can maintain around 100 bar is good enough for car cleaning, anybody got any suggestions of what to go for? I don't want to be spending silly amounts on one but something half decent would be good, I've looked at the Karcher stuff but lots of people seem to have reliability problems with them.

Mat

Polished Bliss is a cracking site. Especially reading their "guides". The guys there have done some amazing cars. You should check out a White Lambo they did (it's on DW). Didn't miss a bit. Every millimeter was cleaned.

tsp

Right, I got me some stuff, not all of it though!!!

I'm looking on E-Gay at the moment at grit guards. They seem like a really good idea.

Do I need 2 though?!

Thanks,

tsp

Can I get away with 1? :D

Would I use it for the wash bucket or the rinse bucket?!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Either that, not bother and get Maz to do it.

Desperate for it to rain again to fill me car washing rain water stash (water butts).

The best water for cleaning and rinsing imo. Tap water is way too hard around here.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Desperate for it to rain again to fill me car washing rain water stash (water butts).

The best water for cleaning and rinsing imo. Tap water is way too hard around here.
I like your style Lee. The water round here is super hard too. I am thinking of getting a water softner device works out to 100 for the unit and a filling up is 30 quid each time but it lasts for a while.

tsp

You can get the water softeners fitted inline, all you need to do is top up the salt blocks now and then.

So I use a normal bucket for washing and then put a grit guard in the rinse bucket so all the grit that comes off the car stays in the rinse bucket. I'm getting there! :D

Thanks again,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.