No heat from vents

jonboy984

Jul 9, 2020
I've just had mine done. Cost £240 all in to supply and fit a new heater matrix and coolant. It's now toasty and warm for the first time in ages

Reactions: jjp and SteveFR

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My Leon’s heating has just given up the ghost too, so am relieved to hear that it should be a fairly straightforward process for indie garage to fix.

Get some quotes. SEAT want £1200 to do it so getting an Indie at c.£250 would be a bargain.

You can do it yourself for £80 (Matrix) and about 2 or 3 hours of your time.

Also worth changing your coolant or as much as you can and also your expansion tank if you have the silicant bag fitted.

Reactions: SteveFR

jjp

Nov 19, 2018
Birmingham
I had mine changed nearly 2 weeks ago for £180 labour and £70 for the matrix i supplied myself, and it solved the problem, hooray!..

BUT, I now have another issue!! The drivers side vent blows warm and not hot, I noticed that I used a tiny amount of coolant around 7 days after picking the car up after the drivers side vent was only blowing warm, then before i got round to topping it up, I did a short journey and noticed the drivers side vent was then only blowing cool air.. I topped up the coolant today and it has made it warmer/ on the verge of hot-ish but not back to how it was after the repair. Any ideas people.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
800 bash **** that when i did mine on old car it cost 40 quid for a matrix, audi a1 tdi 2.0 about 2 hour labour to fit it, probs oess if your hands are small to get to the pipes and them god dam awful clios theynuse to hold pipe on

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I had mine changed nearly 2 weeks ago for £180 labour and £70 for the matrix i supplied myself, and it solved the problem, hooray!..

BUT, I now have another issue!! The drivers side vent blows warm and not hot, I noticed that I used a tiny amount of coolant around 7 days after picking the car up after the drivers side vent was only blowing warm, then before i got round to topping it up, I did a short journey and noticed the drivers side vent was then only blowing cool air.. I topped up the coolant today and it has made it warmer/ on the verge of hot-ish but not back to how it was after the repair. Any ideas people.

You might have an air lock or another reason as it sounds like warm/hot coolant is not getting into the matrix. One way to check is test the temp of the 2 pipes in/out of the matrix and see. The IN pipe should be hot and the OUT pipe not as much (assuming you have the heating on).

Theoretically you can access the pipes in the engine bay by the bulkhead but it's easier if you do it from the passenger footwell directly onto the matric pipes. You'll need to remove the trim than runs by the central tunnel but it's only a couple of T20's or something.

DSC_5593.JPG

I bought one of these to check mine.

The coolant system is in 3 parts and quite complex. The only way to fully bleed is it apparently by VAG using posh kit to open/close valves etc - unless your garage did that. Some pipes are very narrow, are subject to blockages and could have debris in them (the crud that blocked your matrix will find any restriction in the system to park up - my thermostat housing was full of it). The system is meant to be self bleeding though and can take a while to settle. I'd keep topping it up (if feasible) and see how you go.

I had mine done in March and remember it still `gurgled` a bit when I swtiched off but now it's fine.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008

Could still have bits and bobs of silica in places.

mine is the same, hot passengers and mildly warm / sometimes cold drivers side.

going back in tomorrow for another coolant flush FOC

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Could still have bits and bobs of silica in places.

mine is the same, hot passengers and mildly warm / sometimes cold drivers side.

going back in tomorrow for another coolant flush FOC
Not many people are mentioning having flushing done, which is so important as the silica gets everywhere and sludges up. Must be like doing an oil change, but only changing the oil filter!

My neighbour had the silica bag burst in his Golf GTD. His VW dealer wanted £1400 but a friend of his works at an Audi dealer and got it done for £900. He said they used a total of 40 litres of coolant to fully flush it out. Don't know if Golfs are that different, but they had to take the whole dash out to get to the matrix. They replaced the coolant expansion tank with one from a Golf 7.5 R which apparently has a separate chamber for the silica, so if it burst, it should contain it.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Not many people are mentioning having flushing done, which is so important as the silica gets everywhere and sludges up. Must be like doing an oil change, but only changing the oil filter!

My neighbour had the silica bag burst in his Golf GTD. His VW dealer wanted £1400 but a friend of his works at an Audi dealer and got it done for £900. He said they used a total of 40 litres of coolant to fully flush it out. Don't know if Golfs are that different, but they had to take the whole dash out to get to the matrix. They replaced the coolant expansion tank with one from a Golf 7.5 R which apparently has a separate chamber for the silica, so if it burst, it should contain it.

My 2014 Leon has a separate chamber for the Silica bag! I'm still changing it 'just in case'
There are loads of previous threads on this issue - here's a couple:

I am constantly mentioning about the potential for additional silica in circulation in the cooling system, and just changing the heater matrix may or may-not be enough - depends on the 'unknown' quantity of silica (from either casting the engine/ or a split silica bag) in circulation.

I have cleaned my matrix 3x now and each time it lasts longer between each clean - my theory is that i'm 'slowly' removing the 'finite' quantity of silica so eventually it shouldn't block again - but it is free for me to flush my heater matrix, and fairly quick process (<1 hour), you do NOT need to get the dash out.

I am still going to carry out several full coolant system flushes and change my thermostat when I do my cam belt, just making my own vacuum filling/bleeding coolant system.

jjp said:

I 'tiny' amount of coolant to me sounds like it's just released a little trapped air. When my matrix was blocked it would burp out the whole contents of the header tank, and you could see visible coolant signs around the tank, and my low coolant warning flashed up. Keep a bottle of water in your car - just in case, so you don't get stranded.
Keep an eye or a temperature probe on the drivers side face vent and if this gets cooler while the passenger side stays hot (and the climate is asking for heat) I'd suggest the matrix is getting blocked again.

Reactions: SteveFR

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I bought one of these to check mine.

That looks an interesting gadget, might have to get one! I would assume it could be used to see if the air-con is getting cold enough in the summer.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That looks an interesting gadget, might have to get one! I would assume it could be used to see if the air-con is getting cold enough in the summer.

I've had a similar device for over 10 years, there are lots of uses for them, around the cars and the home.

Reactions: Walone

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Found another thread where OP describes similar symptoms to my car...

My TSI 180 had its coolant pump replaced last autumn but continued to lose coolant this year. Local garage has tried flushing out the heater matrix a couple of times but still not getting any hot air, so looks like a replacement is in order.

Hopefully have warm air available in time for winter as almost got hypothermia driving the other evening; ambient temperature was 1.5 Celsius and my spectacles started fogging up so had to put the air-con back on ?

• Wow
Reactions: queen

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

My TSI 180 had its coolant pump replaced last autumn but continued to lose coolant this year. Local garage has tried flushing out the heater matrix a couple of times but still not getting any hot air, so looks like a replacement is in order.

Hopefully have warm air available in time for winter as almost got hypothermia driving the other evening; ambient temperature was 1.5 Celsius and my spectacles started fogging up so had to put the air-con back on ?

Just to confirm, the coolant header tank on your car has "MIT SILIKAT" written on it and the silicate is contained in a nylon "rectangular tea bag" in that header tank.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

I though the heater matrix blocking issue with silica was just related to TDI's?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I though the heater matrix blocking issue with silica was just related to TDI's?

That is why I asked that last question, okay the casting sand hopefully seem to have been a short manufacturing period in engine build for some TDIs, but at least some petrol engines got "MIT SILIKAT" header tanks, my daughter's May 2019 Cupra certainly has that, though I'd need to have another look-see to see if it has a proper porous container or something that looks a lot like a rectangular tea bag!

Edit:- I seem to have failed completely to get people to assist in working out why/when "MIT SILIKAT" is included in initial factory build in terms of when, which engine type(s) and with which version of VW Group coolant. This is all still a bit strange to me, VW Group must know the answer to that, and why, and also why and when or if they dropped the need for having to have a back up store of a chemical that was released slowly into the coolant to extend its service life which never seems to be defined.

Last edited:

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Just to confirm, the coolant header tank on your car has "MIT SILIKAT" written on it and the silicate is contained in a nylon "rectangular tea bag" in that header tank.
My 1.8 TSI 180 is mit silikat ? Car is currently in garage but here’s photos I took before topping up the G13 last month.

8E6E93AF-ABE1-45E3-8AEB-A1D452470AB6.jpeg
43A6DB74-454D-4CAE-874B-B84C8D565041.jpeg

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I've had a similar device for over 10 years, there are lots of uses for them, around the cars and the home.
I have one and really useful, (found out my loft insulation is lacking around my eves - job for next year!) just remember then measure the emissivity of an object which is different for different coloured - so they are only really accurate measuring the temperature of black objects, but I find them fine for comparative measurements between similar colour materials.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My 1.8 TSI 180 is mit silikat ? Car is currently in garage but here’s photos I took before topping up the G13 last month.

View attachment 20025 View attachment 20026
Googling Coolant leak EA888 engine seems a popular topic!
Try thermostat housing?

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
Googling Coolant leak EA888 engine seems a popular topic!
Try thermostat housing?
Local garage replaced the thermostat housing (along with temperature sensor and water pump) last summer.

At least my Leon is slightly cheaper to repair than those Audis!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

It measures surface temp via the IR so can sort of measure air temp but only on the surfaces around it.

Great for checking radiator temps, how hot my tea is etc. You just start zapping stuff.

Reactions: Walone

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
On other VAG forums, they say you've got the silica bag if your car has climate control. Don't know how true that is.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.