silica grain in the header tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
The engine `platform` is the EA288 and various engine types get a different engine code like CUPA or CUNA etc. From what I've read, the 184 has either the CUPA or CUNA engine code. I assume the 150 has difference codes.

Reactions: Woody_72

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not sure on engine code a bit new to this model its a 2013 2.0 TDI 184 done 60ish K.

That is enough info, maybe, there does seem to be a common "thing" here with all or most of these choked heater matrix issues - ie TDI, maybe even 2.0TDI - unless someone else can add a bit more into this, again I suspect that casting sand has already been offered as the problem, if your Silicon bag is still intact.

Edit:- I'm not trying to start this discussion from the beginning again, I'm just trying to raise some points already, I think, raised, but I don't mind being proved wrong.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I used to think what on earth are people going on about. Just leave the silica bag alone.

well mines has split on my 2013 audi A3 and taken the heater matrix core with it.

if you have one of these god awful bags please just remove it. It is not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Woody_72

Cupra622

May 9, 2020
What exactly does it look like, I have a mesh type looking bag in the tank, couldn't work out if it was a silica bag or some sort of filter.......i though they didn't put them in any more, mines a 2019 cupra....... Anyone got a pic?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What exactly does it look like, I have a mesh type looking bag in the tank, couldn't work out if it was a silica bag or some sort of filter.......i though they didn't put them in any more, mines a 2019 cupra....... Anyone got a pic?
I would assume that is it, coolant reservoir should say mit silktat on it too.

looks like this video, cant really miss it

Last edited:

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
If you can just remove the bag, do. On mine the bag was sort of built in between the walls of the tank so I replaced the tank, you can get them for between £20 and £40 depending on which brand you go for.

May 23, 2020
Update on my experience: No hot air, so the dealer had a look and said my bag had burst £1200 or more to fix. I took it away and removed the bag it hadn't burst!
Removed the tank and cleaned the brown deposit out. Eventually I removed the heater matrix (Not that difficult to do) and reverse flushed it out in the sink. Got a load of brown gunge and grit out of it. This seems to be residue from the metal casting process.
Drained the coolant best I could and put it back and heater works fine.
A couple of months later my low coolant warning flashed up (about 85K miles): traced to failure of an auxiliary pipe attachment which feeds off the heater at the bulkhead. On inspection the inside of the hose fitting was eroded to the point it perforated and snapped; the grit that was in the system must have
worn the material away on the bend where this small pipe branches off - it had got paper thin. Pics show contaminated silika bag (intact but dirty), some of the grit and hose (old and new). I imagine it's not done the rest of the coolant system much good.
IMG_2143.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2251.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@Paul Kirby, which engine is in your car, I'm guessing that it is a TDI only because of the casting sand still being inside it?

Edit:- ah, I've just gone back to page 2 of this thread and see that your car is indeed a 2.0TDI, so no surprise there then, unfortunately!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks @Paul Kirby for the update. I'll have to keep an eye on my pipework.

I could never get my matrix properly cleaned, so ended up a fitting a new one. No problems so far. Well done for cleaning your expansion tank. I just fitted a new one without the bag.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Update on my experience: No hot air, so the dealer had a look and said my bag had burst £1200 or more to fix. I took it away and removed the bag it hadn't burst!
Removed the tank and cleaned the brown deposit out. Eventually I removed the heater matrix (Not that difficult to do) and reverse flushed it out in the sink. Got a load of brown gunge and grit out of it. This seems to be residue from the metal casting process.
Drained the coolant best I could and put it back and heater works fine.
A couple of months later my low coolant warning flashed up (about 85K miles): traced to failure of an auxiliary pipe attachment which feeds off the heater at the bulkhead. On inspection the inside of the hose fitting was eroded to the point it perforated and snapped; the grit that was in the system must have
worn the material away on the bend where this small pipe branches off - it had got paper thin. Pics show contaminated silika bag (intact but dirty), some of the grit and hose (old and new). I imagine it's not done the rest of the coolant system much good.
View attachment 19492 View attachment 19493 View attachment 19494 View attachment 19496

this is what I flushed out of my heater matrix:
and how I did it:
1604319537735.png

1604319575677.png

I struggle to believe that this silicate could erode the inside of that plastic pipe - that is just a vent after all with very little flow/force, it just wouldn't have enough abrasion potential. Maybe just a faulty piece?

what year is your Leon? as I think there must be different 'mit silicat' tanks - mine says mit silicat' (184 - 64 reg) but there is no way I could remove it - looks more like this image and the silicate is contained in it's own small reservoir.
Whether this was a revised version - to the version which people can remove the bag with pliers I don't know? and if this version can still leak? who knows?
1604319973157.png

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I seem to remember reading that there are quite a few manufacturers that use some form of "boaster" pellets in the cooling systems, but only VW Group did a quick "slip a porous bag in" way of doing it, others used a properly designed and manufactured porous container. Good to see that some VW Group cars ended up with a revised coolant tank though.

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Have this bag silica bag in my car
Had a try removing it yesterday feels pretty tight to get it out, was being careful as didn't want the bag to burst
Update managed to remove it today 2018 1,8 fr

Last edited:

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
I’ve checked my 2018 Cupra 300 and it doesn’t appear to have one is that right (any other 300 owners confirm?)

cheers
I say it doesn’t appear to but I’ve only checked with light from the outside as I can’t fit the life of me get the F’ing cap off!!!!

Is there some secret technique to this as the cap moves slightly a cm or so either way but no matter how much force I use it won’t turn and come off.

got stupid large ‘teeth’ all around it and being so flat there’s no purchase to bloody turn it!

anyone else had the issue??

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
I say it doesn’t appear to but I’ve only checked with light from the outside as I can’t fit the life of me get the F’ing cap off!!!!

Is there some secret technique to this as the cap moves slightly a cm or so either way but no matter how much force I use it won’t turn and come off.

got stupid large ‘teeth’ all around it and being so flat there’s no purchase to bloody turn it!

anyone else had the issue??

Hi had the same issue ended up using a screwdriver with a rag on end and tapping with hammer gently.