silica grain in the header tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
cheers

I assume you hit the screwdriver against the ‘tooth’ to get it to turn as opposed to any prizing in up etc?

The only way to remove the cap is to rotate it, never try prising it up.

Please note:- header tanks with a silicate pouch or any form of silicate in it should have printed on its shoulder "MIT SILIKAT" in black.

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales

Please note:- header tanks with a silicate pouch or any form of silicate in it should have printed on its shoulder "MIT SILIKAT" in black.
Thanks I’ll give the screwdriver technique a go tomorrow

Reactions: silverbawz

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

And there is at least two versions - where the bag is visible inside the filler neck, and where (like mine) it is not visible and none removable. Like the image I shared on page 7 of this thread.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Do any of the aftermarket tanks have silicate in them or are they all silicate-free?
Yes - it they DON'T say Mit Silicate they 'shouldn't' have silicate bag. There are also OE tanks which don't say/have Mit Silicate.
I just got a Febi one and that is without bag. Was less than £20.

jonboy984

Jul 9, 2020
I've read this thread with interest and finally decided to have the silicone bag removed this morning.

A lucky escape here as the silicone bag had already started to split!
085cab07b8dbcd228d2e3ed21f6e9c32.jpg
Well I certainly spoke too soon when I posted this.

As the weather got colder I noticed cold air coming from the two drivers side vents whereas I was getting warm heat coming from the passenger side vents.

I tried living with it but ended up having a new heater matrix fitted last week and now getting warm heat from all vents.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Well I certainly spoke too soon when I posted this.

As the weather got colder I noticed cold air coming from the two drivers side vents whereas I was getting warm heat coming from the passenger side vents.

I tried living with it but ended up having a new heater matrix fitted last week and now getting warm heat from all vents.

Sorry to hear that. The blockages are also caused by casting sand from the engine block, so it was probably doomed to failure anyway.

How much did the the matrix change cost?

jonboy984

Jul 9, 2020
That's not bad though. SEAT wanted £1200 so I did it myself. £240 is the best price I've heard quoted for a non-DIY effort.

It's nice to have warm air though isn't it?
I agree, I was surprised to be fair. I'm happy the previous owner knew about it before he sold it but that is the risk of buying privately sold as seen I guess.

Yes lovely to have warm heat though

Reactions: BillyCool

Dangerousdean

Nov 29, 2020
New to the forum but with some issues with my 1.6tdi, started with blowing the coolant out and now no heating grrr.. I’ve had a go at flushing it and no joy there, can someone confirm these pics are the heater matrix and not the air con?

Attachments

• 8BFEB7AB-1B2D-4A0B-8C2C-402FA0934B34.jpeg
    8BFEB7AB-1B2D-4A0B-8C2C-402FA0934B34.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 359AD745-5DF9-462E-914B-7C932CF86DB6.jpeg
    359AD745-5DF9-462E-914B-7C932CF86DB6.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 132

Dangerousdean

Nov 29, 2020
Thank you that bugger is coming out this week then ! I cannot crack the pipes off in the firewall so I’m expecting a bit of fluid leak I don’t care now this thing got me going crazy!

Dangerousdean

Nov 29, 2020
Just looking for a new one now there seems to be a lot of them out there but euro car parts don’t have any and German Swedish don’t list them??? Does anyone know the best manufacturer to use and a part number?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Just looking for a new one now there seems to be a lot of them out there but euro car parts don’t have any and German Swedish don’t list them??? Does anyone know the best manufacturer to use and a part number?

Copied and pasted from a message I sent to another member ref the same subject:

You have a couple of choices with the matrix. I went for a Valeo as it is the original OEM part and I knew it was like for like replacement. Some people say the Nissan one is quite good as the channels were wider apparently.

This is the link to where I bought mine - product code 715303.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=715303https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=715303

Arrived from Europe in about 5 days.

If you're going to replace it, I'd recommend changing the expansion tank as well. Mine had the silicant bag in it and the lid was rattling, so worth the £25 and 10 min fix. I also recommend swapping out as much of your coolant as you can.

Reactions: TheSwede