Non Seat Content... Subaru Impreza WRX 300 *now for sale*

Looked what the postman delivered today :)

null_zps5e046ac7.jpg

New discs n pads are now on. The rears were a nightmare as the pads were seized in the caliper and needed some gentle persuasion with the hammer to get them off.

All the shims, retainers and pins were dumped in the ultrasonic bath and cleaned up before refitting.

Also gave the calipers a clean up with some brake cleaner and a rag.

Here proof that they are now on:

Fronts
null_zps8881283f.jpg

Rears
null_zps4f39783a.jpg

Should've took some better pictures with the wheels off but I'd left my phone in the car when it was up on the 2 poster.

Just need to bed them in now, only done about 3 miles so will give a review on them in due course.

Next up.... MOT time on Friday

Well i've still not had my car mot'd as i forgot that the father in law was on holiday from work last week.
So its going in tomorrow afternoon with my fingers crossed that she passes. shouldn't be any issues ( apart from the emissions test which will be simulated ;) )........ then its 6 months tax being bought on friday....... then its time to save for a much needed matched set of 4 tyres

Well it's been a while now so I'll do a quick run through of the last 3 months

Car went in for a service and a full set of Avon ZZ3 tyres on Christmas Eve

Opened up my presents on Christmas Day to find a boost gauge, a pillar gauge pod, HKS turbo timer with patch lead, STI pink strut brace and a Pioneer DEH 4500BT headunit with memory stick full of music.

Fitted the strut brace on Boxing Day as it only took half an hour and just finished fitting the turbo timer, boost gauge and new headunit today. Pics to follow tomorrow.

The car is running really well just now..... Just enjoying using it at the moment and happy with the current power level. Would love to upgrade the ARBs, fit the anti lift kit and maybe look at some lowering springs but nothing major will be happening in the next 6months

n1scottyboy

n1scottyboy
Aug 19, 2011
scotland
i had a 55 plate subaru impreza sti tuned to 326 bhp it was a beast and always gave me that big smile everyime you sat in the seat. I sold it and downgraded too a seat leon cupra r which i thought i would not enjoy as much , 2 years later i still have her and just enjoy the car no end ok its no rocket like the scooby but its still fun and i think its a looker also.. By the way how can i post pics on here ,can you not post pics untill you have made 15 posts .

i had a 55 plate subaru impreza sti tuned to 326 bhp it was a beast and always gave me that big smile everyime you sat in the seat. I sold it and downgraded too a seat leon cupra r which i thought i would not enjoy as much , 2 years later i still have her and just enjoy the car no end ok its no rocket like the scooby but its still fun and i think its a looker also.. By the way how can i post pics on here ,can you not post pics untill you have made 15 posts .

Sorry for the late reply bud, you need to reach 15 posts to upload pics but i can see you have managed that :)

Don't get me wrong...... i miss my LCR :( it was so much more refined, about level pegging in terms of straight line speed and defo had more room in the back than the scooby, but i did a lot more mileage in the LCR so wanted something that was quick, handled well and still had a bit of comfort. The scooby is a bit raw for an everyday car.... the wind noise over 60mph because of the pillar-less doors, the crappy standard sound system, the heavy clutch pedal, the small loading space for the wee ones pushchair and the bone breaking ride are not ideal for long distances...... but the fact its mainly a weekend car, the noise off that flat 4 coupled with the decat exhaust, the superb handling and quick spooling TD04 turbo make up for it :D

just realised i never posted any pictures of the new additions

The long awaited arrival of pics.....

Strut brace:

09BF3ED1-8933-4BEF-8790-129E5228092D_zpspt3qqw7n.jpg

New Pioneer headunit and turbo timer:

16E0B566-A8FA-4AB0-80AD-C6FBE1789B94_zpsqkaixc4p.jpg

Unfortunately no pics of the boost gauge as it lasted a day and the damper spring has broken inside, causing the needle to bounce and the gauge to make a horrible rattling noise. A replacement arrived yesterday :)

Other bad news...... the original battery at the age of 8 years and 8 months decided enough was enough last week and failed on me :(

New genuine Bosch battery fitted and my wallet £100 lighter...... she was back up and running again :D

Last week I took delivery of this

Then I went straight out and did this

Before:

After:

The rain arrived so never got the fuel pump done :(

Got my boost gauge changed for a full functional one but still having an issue with boost readings so need to do more research with regards to how i've got it plumbed in. Its showing my car as running 1.5bar!!!! It ain't running that...... my engine would've blew up long ago if it was. It should be running around 1.1bar

went to have the car open source tuned on tuesday.... turns out its already been played around with.

this sorted out the confusion i had as to why it went so well for a standard ppp wrx, possibly had something to do with the ecu requesting 1.27bar of boost instead of the stock 0.9bar. So i'm now thinking the rr paperwork i have was from before the car was fettled with.

a few tweeks were made and another 0.1bar of boost was added in, basically pushing the td04 turbo to its absolute max, a bit of trimming on the fuel as it was massively overfuelling top end and then we went for a few power runs for an estimated bhp and torque figure. best result of the 3 runs was 279bhp with 316lbsft of torque with a really nice torque curve to go with it.. its also quite clear where the td04 turbo runs out of puff at just over 5.5k. This is making me think about a hybrid td04 or looking at a 2nd hand STI turbo with a set of STI injectors to give me power all the way top the redline.

the car feels a bit punchier mid range now..... and i've had pops n bangs enabled which puts a smile on your face everytime it happens lol.

i have been advised that i should heat wrap my downpipe and get a thermal jacket for my turbo to try and keep heat soak from the engine bay. we logged a power run when the car had been sitting at idle for 5 mins and then logged a run when the car had been cooling off boost but getting plenty cold air in through the bonnet scoop and there was a 20whp difference between the two which is massive.

overall i'm semi pleased as i know the car is running sweet with the new fuel pump, panel filter and decat exhaust, plus i now know why the car went so well in the first place. the mapping session ended up only costing me an hours labour as most of the work had been done for the mapper already.... he just played around with it to try and eek a little more out it.

Last edited:
update............

car passed its MOT on Friday with an advisory on the nsr wheel bearing having slight play, so next job after payday is a wheel bearing replacement.

and the dreaded road tax reminder came through the post yesterday

i am planning a wheel refurb next, just unsure of what colour to go for

oh the joys :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well the time has came to move the scooby on after just short of 2 years, so just waiting on the for sale ad being approved for advertising on here.

picked myself a new car up on monday, new thread will begin soon.

stay tuned