Outer CV Joint Removal

Cupraloon

Cannot be 100% certain on the lc but from past experience on other cars there normally held in with a snap ring or circlip..

Rick_67

knock it off with a copper hammer or something similar, its held on with a clip

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Don't know if this is any good, but have a look it's a golf but should be similar, i would have thought...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3344208

Thanks for looking. :) No that's the inner, did that last week (Leon is easier than that).

knock it off with a copper hammer or something similar, its held on with a clip

I've taket the driveshaft out now.
Which bit do I smack, and where?

P1010065.jpg

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Hold the shaft in 1 hand get someone else to hold the CV JOINT bit which goes in the hub and pull them apart using a hammer knock the CV off towards your mate(so u dont get hurt if it goes wrong)it may need Cir Clip pliers to hold the clip open and knock it off.If there is a clip and u put it back on make sure it goes and and stays on they can come off down the road.
John

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
Just wack it off, thats what i did on my previous LCR when fitting a new boot.

hardest part for me was getting it back on.

gazzy-g

put the shaft in a vice and give the cv joint a good smack with a hammer the clip is inside the joint on the shaft. in the kit for a boot or new joint there should be a new circlip, pre load washer and nylon taper sleeve its sometimes easier to use the old circlip. on refit you might need to compress it with 2 small screwdrivers to get the joint back on youve made it easier with shaft out but can be done in place with a second pair of hands hope this helps

gazzy-g

you need to hit the outer edge of cv joint while giving it a pull at the nut end a copper hammer is best to not damage the joint

gazzy-g

im here to help shame i was slow with the where to hit you forget that bit when youve done as many of these nice jobs as i have hit the shiney edge and give it a good smack one hard hit usually gets it

gazzy-g

hold the shaft itself in the vice, with the joint free i put the joint to the left (im right handed) the joint will be free to come off then hold the hub nut with your left hand pulling away from the vice and hit the outer edge of the cv joint, away from the vice in the dirrection your pulling 1 good hit and the cv joint should be in your left hand and the shaft in the vice and if your really lucky youll be covered in nice smelly grease

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ok, so I'm just knocking the CV joint off the shaft really.

I don't understand in that case how I get 'inside' afterwards to fit the clips.

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Is it that the clip etc pop off the end of the shaft when the joint comes off. Once they're off, the cage comes out of the end easily?

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise