Over the air updates

Cupra46

Jun 15, 2023
Hi all, this is probably a really silly question but one I can’t find an answer to is how does the car do over the air updates? Does it have its own mobile data system almost like its own SIM card or something?
Thanks in advance and please be kind lol I know it’s probably obvious to most

tzuicomicina

Feb 14, 2023
I'm not sure if OTAs are disabled if youdon't have a Cupra Online subscription :) But I assume it's cheaper for Cupra to pay the 4G data and not pay 1h of work at workshop rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cupra46

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
No way some of the updates will be OTA - as when I downloaded to do from USB it was over 9gig for just one update

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
My Formentor is 1 year old and I have only seen 1 update notification when I had the car for 2 weeks. It was a small update for something in the system. I don't know which software version my car is running on, but I know I don't want a newer version because everything is working fine.

tzuicomicina

Feb 14, 2023
Navigation maps are uploaded manually via USB. Europe map is 30GB
The maps are updated via internet as well but not via the OTA procedure. If you have a look the versions screen you'll see that the maps version is something like: 2023.7. This means that currently you have the July 2023 update installed. And this service is provided only if you pay for Cupra Connect online services.

Reactions: pivko11

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My Formentor is 1 year old and I have only seen 1 update notification when I had the car for 2 weeks. It was a small update for something in the system. I don't know which software version my car is running on, but I know I don't want a newer version because everything is working fine.
Exactly like I have had with my Leon, I don't know or care what version I am on, as everything has worked since I collected the car in May 2022. Even my dealer only applies updates if the car has a fault, if not broke don't try to fix it.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Exactly like I have had with my Leon, I don't know or care what version I am on, as everything has worked since I collected the car in May 2022. Even my dealer only applies updates if the car has a fault, if not broke don't try to fix it.
And that's the safest attitude at the moment. Most other people have one issue fixed only to introduce 2 others at the moment...

Reactions: Seastormer