PD130 and PD150 Pancake pipe

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
this is a pain in my backside too.

I want to improve that whole section from the turbo to the IC inlet.

SFS are almost there with the outlet, and the IC inlet is already in production, just need to sort the pancake now, ideally avoiding the poorly clip system.

If the connection at the turbo uses an alloy connector, and it also clamped, then at the other end of this pipe, its clamped (jubileed) onto a modified pancake, with the same on the out side, then with the alloy fitting and clamp onto IC in, that should be strong enough.

Thats what Im hoping to achieve, if you understand lol :)

edit - what materials are the PD150 / 1.8T pancakes? my PD150 looks like some sort of alloy, but from what photos Ive seen of the 1.8T version, it looks like it could be stainless?

Last edited:

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
Thing is, if possible, I would aim to get rid of the nasty clip system that holds the connections at either end of the pancake.

The less of these there are, the better in my opinion.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Thing is, if possible, I would aim to get rid of the nasty clip system that holds the connections at either end of the pancake.

The less of these there are, the better in my opinion.

In which case the other 'option' I have is to get some steel connectors made up and have them welded to the ends of the pancake - time to speak to Probee i think :)

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
I rekon this is the going to be the ultimate solution.

Increased airflow, and reliability.

Along with the SFS pipes, and the uprated clamps in 3 positions (turbo out, IC in & out) the whole run from turbo to inlet, would be much improved.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
i need to let the dust settle after the last few weeks ive had..... they've been doing so many homers for me, we are weeks behind with the bits that make us money :)

speak to me in a few weeks buddy

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
i need to let the dust settle after the last few weeks ive had..... they've been doing so many homers for me, we are weeks behind with the bits that make us money :)

speak to me in a few weeks buddy

No need now, a solution has been found / agreed but i can't say more until it's all done and dusted - rest assured it won't be long before everyone else can have one :)

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
I have a new boost leak, on the SFS pipe between the pancake and the IC - its split.

But that whole section from turbo to IC is just rubbish, those connections are useless.

Im tearing my hair out, spent so much time and money on the hybrid conversion, its just plauged with bad boost pipework.

I dont know what to do next tbh

grrrr.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Try speaking to Forge. Was down there a while ago and they were showing us there replacement for the pancake pipe which is included in the Golf PD130 FMIC kit.

Pretty sure it will be very similar to the leon if not identical, and nowere near as restrictive as the original plastic one.

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
Ive checked out the forge replacement, that comes with the PD130 FMIC kit - the pipe would not work without extensive modification to fit the standard FMIC on the PD150 engines cars.

This is because the Forge Intercooler sits much further forwards, and the piece of alloy tubing is much too long for the PD150 application.

Check it out for yourselves here - I think to make this pipe fit is going to be just as much work as modifying a 1.8 20vT pancake pipe...

Also Im not too sure about just jubilee clipping a coupler onto the OEM male alloy end fitting on the turbo outlet hose :think:

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
Ive not got time for all that, my pancake pipe and the connecting pipe to the IC are both knackered and need replacing asap - sfs wont even answer my emails, so sod em

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Ive not got time for all that, my pancake pipe and the connecting pipe to the IC are both knackered and need replacing asap - sfs wont even answer my emails, so sod em

Well if i was in your shoes, i would replace the parts with standard units for now, and use the old broken ones to be fabricated up at a alloy engineering firm, or failing that await for SFS etc to release there version

paddeh

Apr 20, 2008
oh ofc dont worry, Im well into getting the problem sorted - Ive got a 1.8 20vT pancake that hopefully will be modified to fit - removing all the "clip connections" in favour of stretching the pipes over and clamping them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise